Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at some of the fish that are available for online ordering/shipping to a pickup spot. I am not going to be getting any until my tank is properly set up so I can avoid making any more mistakes - I've already made a few :/

However, I like to plan ahead,

Does anyone know of a good reputable place I can order fish from in Canada? I have found several sources I like, then I realize that they are not in Canada, and I would rather not mess with import fees, rules, etc.

I have a rough idea of what types of fish I eventually want in my tank. It's a 55 gallon that I plan to have heavily planted.

I am thinking about stocking it with:

Black Phantom and Flame Tetra's (Megalamphodus megalopterus, and Hyphessobrycon flammeus)
3 Yoyo Loach (Botia lohachata)
Platies (currently have 3 black and white spotted ones - look a bit like dalmations)
Guppies (not really looking specific ones, I just like guppies)
6 Leopard Cat's (Corydoras trilineatus)
Small school of Scissortail rasbora (Rasbora trilineata) and Harlequin rasbora (Rasbora heteromorpha)
maybe 7-9 each?
and possibly some swordtails (Xiphophorus helleri) maybe 5.

I Thought about putting a small sorority of betta in as well but I'm not sure how well they would do with all the other littles swimming about pestering them may be not such a good plan for them. Plus, since I know this would already be an overstocked tank, I don't want to cause stress and cause them to become aggressive.

I think I'd like to add a pea puffer at some point but not until the tank is well established with zero issues and well matured.

I thought about some shrimp to, but I think some of the species I would like to keep don't do well with the parameters that shrimp would need. Especially since my favorite ones are the blue velvet's.

· Registered
10g with 2 apistogramma borellii, 37 with 1 Dwarf Gourami, 11 Colombian Tetras, 1 Hillstream Loach.
38 Posts
I have been looking at some of the fish that are available for online ordering/shipping to a pickup spot. I am not going to be getting any until my tank is properly set up so I can avoid making any more mistakes - I've already made a few :/

However, I like to plan ahead,

Does anyone know of a good reputable place I can order fish from in Canada? I have found several sources I like, then I realize that they are not in Canada, and I would rather not mess with import fees, rules, etc.

I have a rough idea of what types of fish I eventually want in my tank. It's a 55 gallon that I plan to have heavily planted.

I am thinking about stocking it with:

Black Phantom and Flame Tetra's (Megalamphodus megalopterus, and Hyphessobrycon flammeus)
3 Yoyo Loach (Botia lohachata)
Platies (currently have 3 black and white spotted ones - look a bit like dalmations)
Guppies (not really looking specific ones, I just like guppies)
6 Leopard Cat's (Corydoras trilineatus)
Small school of Scissortail rasbora (Rasbora trilineata) and Harlequin rasbora (Rasbora heteromorpha)
maybe 7-9 each?
and possibly some swordtails (Xiphophorus helleri) maybe 5.

I Thought about putting a small sorority of betta in as well but I'm not sure how well they would do with all the other littles swimming about pestering them may be not such a good plan for them. Plus, since I know this would already be an overstocked tank, I don't want to cause stress and cause them to become aggressive.

I think I'd like to add a pea puffer at some point but not until the tank is well established with zero issues and well matured.

I thought about some shrimp to, but I think some of the species I would like to keep don't do well with the parameters that shrimp would need. Especially since my favorite ones are the blue velvet's.
Have you heard of AquaristsAcrossCanada, Im not canadian but they seem to have pretty good reviews.

· Registered
412 Posts
Yes, I have decided against the loaches and may substitute with super read Bristlenose plecos
Aww, that's to bad. I love Botias. From everything I have heard Pea Puffers are mean as spit.
Good luck with the tank, I look forward to photos. :)
Re:Canadian suppliers you might look at Aquarium Co-op for suggestions, they don't sell fish but have a big network.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts