Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my tank of baby Jack Dempsys one of the bunch has grown much faster then all the others. It is getting to the point where he might start to eat his siblings.
Any one know how such a big difference could occur and will he eat all the others?

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Most likely that one is gonna be the dominant male of your brood. I had 6 baby Orange spotted sunfish in a 15 breeder, growing them out, and 3 or them had to be removed to big boy tank because they always out competed the smaller ones for food, and had in fact started to run the smaller ones so they graduate to bigger, better pastures and the 3 small ones are eating better now and gaining weight faster, Its the law of Nature...only the strong survive.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would understand it if there were a range of sizes. some animals just don't grow as fast as others. But this is weird because there are 30+ babies and all but 1 are about the same size. That 1 is about 4 times as big as all the siblings.

It just seems weird.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
They are more aggresive than the other siblings and would probably survive in the wild longer than the other ones

·
Registered
2 Posts
its common in cichlids the biggest one will 99% of the time become the dominant one in the tank . its nouthing to be botherd about , my freind has some dovii cichlids in one tank that are all diffrent sizes from 2"-5" long and all living fine togeather .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts