Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody

i just did some tests on my 12g Hex guppy tank. OMG either these tests are wrong or i have the perfect tank!
ammonia=0
nitrite=0
nitrate=0
pH=7.0
and i highly doubt that the tests were wrong, for they were from an API master liquid freshwater test kit-a much relied test kit by the members of the forum.
heres another thing:its filter is a simple penplax corner filter(not a box filter, but the smaller bluish-colorred rectangular one). so the water has little circulation and small filteration, yet its in perfect condition. well heres another little thing:
with its roots in the tank, a very tall plant clims up the through the surface and doesn't stop! right now its about a foot from the ceiling(probably less). the roots seem to absorb all the bad stuff from the tank-explaining the 0 on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. right now the tank has 4 "saved" feeder guppies. as 4 the pure pH-thats a mystery-can any of u tell me what might cause that?

·
Registered
756 Posts
You should always have 0 ammonia and nitrite. As for nitrate, the plant is using it as nutrients and your tank is not over stocked. Great use of the plant BTW...snap a pic.

The pH really depends on your water source. My tap is right at 7.0 so I have all the same settings as you except nitrates which I keep at 5-10ppm to keep my plants healthy. Unfortunately in order to get the city's water to 7.0 they seem to use a lot of phosphate buffers. Ideally you want this at ~1ppm and ours is at least 5-8ppm. To much phosphate seems to make blue-green algae and BBA happy.

With those readings you could add more guppies until your nitrates go up a bit, because you still do water changes from time to time right?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we do water changes every so often, but we don't use any conditioner or pH adjusters-just let the water run for a while before putting it in the tank. expect a pic by tonight.

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
my pH is higher on my tanks which are planted and don't have any circulation.

IMHO you values and experiences are pretty well normal for planted tanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts