Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i've had this 20g tank for about two months now, and so far this is all i have:

2 Kissing Gourami's
1 Snakeskin Gourami
1 Chinese Algae Eating Fish
1 Gold Gourami
1 High-fin Tetra
1 Blackfin shark
1 Pictus cat

the list is ordered in from oldest/full grown - smallest.

what i came here for is that for a bit now, my tank has been unusually getting cloudy. i'm not sure if it's the fish cycle being interupted, algae or something else - but it's stressing me and it seems to be stressing my beloved fish. i'm sure the recommendations i'll be getting it "clean your tank more" and i'm aware of that, but i'm also here because my fish haven't been eating as much as they should be. -- the only fish that seem to eat well are my 2 Kissing Gourami's and from that every other fish nibbles for a bit then wonders off.

could it be from the stress that the cloudy water gives them?
does my tank seem crowded?

·
Aqua Addict
292 Posts
http://www.aquariumforum.com/f66/cool-new-stocking-calculator-difference-4942-2.html#post37215 <---- thread that talks about stocking calculator

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor <--- Stocking Calculator

put your setup into the stocking calculator and see what it says. It will give you a pretty good idea on if your tank will be over crowded when the fish grow up. It worked out pretty accurate for my tanks.

What type of filter setup are you running in your tank? Have you been doing your water changes?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have been doing my regular water changes. and my filter is a mechanical Aqueon 20g filter.

i've heard having a filter for a bigger tank is best at times like this because of the bigger GPH rotation. but thanks for the links!

·
Registered
271 Posts
you should definitely look into a much bigger filter, and a liquid master test kit (if you dont have one) to keep an eye on your water parameters.

as your tank is already overstocked, you will need to keep a very close eye on it to keep it in check.
the chinese algae eater alone is going to be far to big for that tank (they grow to be well over 10")

how ofted do you feed?
how often/ how much water do you change?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
ok...one more question...did you add all the fish at the same time?

Also, you water change schedule is off. Once per 3wks unfortunately isn't sufficient. When you do you wc's, how much is it?

At this point, it looks like you added too many fish too quickly. The BB is trying to catch up with your stocking level.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok...one more question...did you add all the fish at the same time?

Also, you water change schedule is off. Once per 3wks unfortunately isn't sufficient. When you do you wc's, how much is it?

At this point, it looks like you added too many fish too quickly. The BB is trying to catch up with your stocking level.
no. i recently added my blackfin shark and pictus cat to see how they react. so far they seem joyful and play a lot in the bottom.

i change 20-30% of the water every 3 weeks. should i start wc'ing the tank every sunday?

also what does BB mean? still new to the acronyms.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sounds like your tank wasn't properly cycled, and now you're having water parameter issues.
change your feeding to once a day increase filtration
Water change 25-30% weekly
And get a liquid test kit ASAP

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
BB is for Beneficial Bacteria. These are the little guys that break down the ickies in your tank. Very important.

As for the water changes, with your stocking level, you should be looking at 25%/wk.

This is most likely what is causing your cloudiness: Stocking and lack of adequate maintenance.

One thing to note as well with your stocking is going to be your Black Fin and your CAE. This is going to cause problems.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
One thing to note as well with your stocking is going to be your Black Fin and your CAE. This is going to cause problems.
would the CAE be a fin nipper? so far it seems to be really passive, enjoys sticking to my decor more than swimming.. - but i have seen him try and nip my KG's a few times...

what do you think?

edit:
what size&brand filter should i get? i don't want to have a big flowrate so my fish would get stressed. but i do want a good enough filter to filtrate my tank better than what my aqueon 20g one is doing.

would it be fine if i got a 30-35g tank filter for my 20g tank? or is 30 too much, and i should just get a 25g tank filter?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would check out the Aqua Clear line of filters. Off the top of my head I can't remember which model is for your size tank. They are a good filter for the price. Rule of thumb is try to get 7-10 times the water to filter per hour. If you have a 20 g tank a filter that pumps 150-200 gallons per hour will be good for you. The heavier the bio load of your fish the higher the gph you will want.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would check out the Aqua Clear line of filters. Off the top of my head I can't remember which model is for your size tank. They are a good filter for the price. Rule of thumb is try to get 7-10 times the water to filter per hour. If you have a 20 g tank a filter that pumps 150-200 gallons per hour will be good for you. The heavier the bio load of your fish the higher the gph you will want.
the AC20 is for 10-20g tanks, but i have never run anything smaller than an AquaClear50 on a 20g. but im a filter freak. lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'll look into the Aqua Clear filters.

thanks everyone, i'll see how this goes.

would the CAE be a fin nipper? so far it seems to be really passive, enjoys sticking to my decor more than swimming.. - but i have seen him try and nip my KG's a few times...

what do you think?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I tend to go one level up on the filtration myself. I use 20s on 10g tanks. Have two 20s sitting on my 29. I run one of those as an extra one in the event of failure or setting up a new tank.

As for the Black Fin and the CAE, when they come into their own, they will pose problems with the other inhabitants. They'll get a bit aggressive with them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah. i'm just saying if anything goes wrong, i can move the ones who act up into the 10g until i get a bigger tank.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts