Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm Amy and I'm in sw Nebraska. Pretty much in the middle of NOWHERE.

I currently have a 29 gal freshwater that I've had for about 10 years. It has had everything from platies and gouramis to angels and tetras. Even a betta as a community fish. But it has been very badly neglected lately. *frown

I have algae on absolutely everything and my (silk) plants are in horrible shape. I am purchasing all new plants, but I need some suggestions on reviving the gravel, rocks and driftwood.

My 7 small mickey platies and 2 syndontis cats need a cleaner home.

·
Fish Guru
67 Posts
you can sit them in a 50% bleach 50% water mixture over night and they'll come out looking brand new!! that goes for the plants, rocks gravel, wood, EVERYTHING! :) just be sure to rinse them off really good before putting them back in.... u may even want to soke them in a really strong declorinator just to be super safe

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. :)

I think once I get everything clean and operating normally again I'll look for some snails. I hated when I had those ugly little pond snails, but man my tank was clean. LOL Hopefully a few nice ramshorn snails will help me out. I'd like to get a few otocinclus too. Such cute little devils.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
*w2 Glad to have you here, its nice to hear someone admit, that they on occasion, neglect their tank maintenance. When i read your post i looked over my shoulder at the 30 gal i have next to my computer, and thought Gee-whiz, that tank could use a good scrubbing too. I spend so much time at this computer, doing what im doing now that im sorry to say my tanks suffer sometimes as well, but admitting that your a busy human is the first step towards becoming a better steward of the fish tank, Actually as i gaze at my sea of green attachments to everything in that tank, its seems the fish dont mind at all. In fact everything seems to be right in their world. Now dont get me wrong, im not saying you should just let it grow completely over, but in my 30 years of keeping fish, the healthiest, most productive tanks i had, were the ones that were left without human intervention to some point. And come to think of it, I never remember seeing anyone with a scrubby pad working on my local streams and rivers, and man, you should see the algae growing there, so is all that beautification for us or the fish ??? Oh and before i get called on a technicality, i ALWAYS do my regular gravel vac and water changes :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always thought that some algae some the rocks and plants looked more natural. Especially since I have never been brave enough to try live plants. I'm a low maintenance kind of gal. LOL But this time it's gotten a bit out of hand. Even the fish are starting to ask for *H2

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Well, Live plants are a whole other kettle of fish *#3, however we have people on staff here that would be more than happy to talk you through that as well, Lets see wheres Susan when you need her.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll tackle that territory someday when I get a larger tank for the fishies. Then I can experiment and play with plants in the 29. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ooo oo oo An albino bn pleco would look great in there.

Wonder if my crappy lfs could manage to order those or if I would be forced to order and ship? I haven't been able to bring myself to order online YET. But since my lfs is so crappy the time is probably coming.

Thanks shotgun. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will have to remember to post a "want" thread when I get ready. Bad thing about shipping fishies is that I'll have to take off of work to be here. But I'd looove some new fishies.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Middle of nowhere but you have US!
:)

Do you have a gravel vac there on mars?
Filter floss, the white fluffy kind, works great to scrub things in the tank, might help you polish up that driftwood. Scrub it down and do a gravel vac job fill it back with new clean water then change the filters a couple hrs later.
I wouldn't bleach it as that will kill your beneficial bacteria. Give it a good rotation by vacuuming it out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys have a great forum here. I've been traipsing all over the place and reading. Looking at pics. There are some beautiful tanks out there. :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Better late then never!:welcome: Aboard! I am sure you will find this a wonderful place to socialize and learn.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Another NEBRASKAN!!!! I cannot believe it finally happened!!!! Welcome to the site and thanks for joining us. I live in the extreme southeast corner of the state in Beatrice so we are a ways apart but you are still close compared to a lot of the folks here. I am sorry this welcome took so long but I am having computer issues and things have been dicey electronically here for a while.

Rose
:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts