Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a magnum 350 canister filter on a 55gal planted freshwater community tank. I bought it used, along with the tank, 2 years ago. It's running fine, but the impeller is making a significant rattling noise as it runs. It sounds as if the magnet is off balance or something. Has anyone else had this problem? I know that both the magnet and the impeller/shaft are available as replacement parts, but I was hoping to get an idea as to weather it would be of any use to replace either part before I spent the money on it.

·
Aqua Addict
292 Posts
I am running the same set up as you, and my filter will start making noise if air somehow gets sucked into the system. Or I use to have a bubbler right below it so some air got into it from that and it made noise until I moved the bubbler off to the side. Just an idea

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard that one too, but this is less 'gushy' as though the impeller assembly is rocking back and forth against the sides of the enclosure. There are also striations on the magnet as if it had been scraping against something while spinning.

·
Cornelius
95 Posts
I have that noise on both my tanks right now, and have had to deal with it pretty often in the past. The bottom line to getting it to stop is to just fiddle with it for a while. take the intake off and gently touch the impeller, being careful not to break the blades. That is sometimes enough to get it set right. A complete cleaning of the impeller area and the impeller itself might work. Last resort is to try a replacement impeller. I think you can get them at PetsMart for a buck or two a piece.

Good luck, that is an annoying sound.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I've decided that the best way to combat this problem is to deny it battle all together. I snagged an old celing tile from work yesturday and made a sound deadening box for the whole canister to sit in. it works pretty well, as far as sound goes, I'm waiting now to see if heat will be an issue. Then it's just a matter of getting a small fan from radioshack and cutting a hole in the bottom of one side. . . I'll post plans if anyone else is interested.

·
cichlidaholic
36 Posts
Novel idea , but the problem is this ; the impeller has been damaged/worn. Likely from sand or the like getting into the impeller housing. Easy fix is to just replace the impeller. Also be sure to clean out the recess that the impeller sits in with a q-tip to make sure that there isn't anymore sand or other debris in there. Should quiet down and be like new again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts