Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only limited experience on nitrate reduction by alcohol/acetic acid dosing, which of course, well known and practiced by virtually all reefers. I did not practice this because early experiments I ran almost kill all my fish by the increased nitrite, which is order of magnitude more toxic. By then I already figured out what's wrong and concluded I need a new tank if I want to practice safe dosing.

The question here is: where does the N of the nitrate go, fixed by the bacteria and subsequently removed by skimmer or final product is gaseous N2, which is then expelled from tank automatically.

Implications: skimmer sizing or resizing may be needed if it's fixation. If it's N2 expulsion, I need to do nothing. Hard data need to come by if it is a mixed mode, which dominates and by how much. Any thought?

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
I believe all forms of carbon dosing need to have a skimmer to deal with the bacteria?
Even my bio plastic(a basic set it and forget it) needed to be returned to next to skimmer intake.
So I will say that if carbon dosing you would want more skimming then usual .
For vodka dosing RM has great links and experience.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Tom. I have used all types skimmers and ended up with the one I designed. I never leave my tank without a skimmer. My tank is highly loaded because of the fish size (Cosmo, my trigger, is the #1 polluter, 10" long) and pig-size appetite of them. My estimate is >200g of nitrogen per year. If unfortunately all nitrogen ended up by fixing, I may have a problem.

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
Have you checked out algae scrubbers?
I'm thinking the combo of bio plastic and algae scrubber as a "effective yet semi low maintenance" application.
I only look to better as my two reefs are in CYANNO form again?
Millions of years old ,so I only hope to have better effects then before.For now I dose redslime remover and consider my options?
When I ran bio plastic on my 75 my nitrates were uncontrollable,as in too low(API said 0!)This was after more then a year as no change should occur quickly.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got both as well, otherwise I have no choice but to change water every 6 months.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cyano bacteria can be easily remove by erythromycin ascorbate, the problem is where to get this antibiotics. I used once and all cyano gone forever. You may check to see where you can get it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts