Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new here and new to the hobby. I know this was a rookie mistake but I went online and bought a 20 gallon tank off someone, wasn't until shortly before I got there that I found out it had fish in it!!! The fish were bagged and the tank was about 80% emptied. I brought it home, set up the filter that had been running the tank, added new water treated with API Stresscoat+ and Topfin Readistart nitrifying bacteria starter. Once the temp got to a good place, I added the fish bags, got them up to temp, and added the fish slowly.
My question is, since the tank had been previously established and I didn't change the substrate or filter, and kept about 20% of original water, do I get a head start on the nitrogen cycle or am I basically at square one? I, of course, will do my testing (currently using strips that are reading what looks like 0 nitrites and nitrates). I don't have ammonium testing yet, but getting it ASAP. I am also not planning on adding a bunch of new fish for a while until this has some time to recover from the shock of the move, just the adopted fish that have always lived in the tank.
I have two tetras, two loaches, and a betta. Any advice on this is helpful. Thanks!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
if zero nitrate and zero nitrates , you really need to check ammonia. If it's good , then the tank needs to cycle. Keep a close eye on the water quality. I use Seachem Stability and prime. they can help as the tank cycles. I've hard cycled a tank with fish in it a few times. as long as nitrite and ammonia are low, should be ok. When nitrates rise, just do 20% water chnage

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@insight2663 Thank you so much for replying. Since I posted this I got the API master test kit and have been able to better pin point this. Happy to announce that ammonia and nitrites are zero. Will keep up my testing and water changes to maintain this. Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts