Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I cycled my tank with Cured Live rock and some fish food, I went through a small ammonia spike followed by a 3 week long nitrite spike. 2 days After ammonia and nitrate were at 0 (3/14 about 3.5 weeks after live rock) I bought 5 blue leg hermits, 1 nassarius snail and 1 turbo snail. Because I did not properly acclimate the inverts, a few hermits have died, Im down to 3. I read about acclimating a little too late. The 2 hermits that have died were removed within at least 1-2 hours after dying. I tested my water today and these were my readings:

pH-8.3
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-.25
Nitrate-20 ppm
Salinity. 1.022

I did a PWC tonite and then my readings were

pH-8.3
Ammonia-0
Nitrite- >.25
Nitrate- 10 ppm
Salinity- 1.022

I dont understand why my nitrite is back. Im thinking that on saturday im gonna go get more snails and properly acclimate them this time. But im nervous because is it possible even with the cycle my bacteria count is still low enough that im cycling again. I just need some direction, this is my first SW adventure.:fishGreen:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
ALL SW INVERTS CANNOT STAND NITRATES. there might be some nitrites in the water u use for PWCs, so if it is the water, start using a different type of water conditioner that removes nitrites, like seachem prime.

·
Registered
43 Posts
first off do not add any thing to the tank. keep on your water changes 2 times a week tell the tank gets stable. it will take about a month or two and them add one or two fish or crabs snails whatever but like i said take it slow the faster you try to do this hobby the faster you are going to run in to problems if you need any help pm me and i will help as much as i can. good luck
craig

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
i say if its very important info that could help others u should post it in a regular thread so guests and other members can see the info. as for the info zona332 just said, i completely agree.

·
Registered
43 Posts
petlover516 i have know prob posting on here i was just saying if he needed some help to pm me because some time my email dose not pick up that some one posted on here but if he pm's me i get it as a email to.

JoeYB173 I need you to post up the size of the tank and all of you equipment you are using. It will help us to get you on the right track.
craig

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all sorry it took a while to answer my girl had surgery last night. I have a 12 gallon eclipse with 14 pounds of LR a koralia nano powerhead. The normal eclipse filter, 96 watt retrofit quad 50/50 pc lighting. The tank has been running for 5 and 1/2 weeks. 4 and 1/2 with the LR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also just so u guys know I rushed into my freshwater and had tons of issues I still to this day have not lost 1 fish. I'm very dedicated and do a ton of research. I am not in a rush I want to do it right so I need all the help I can get but I'm patient and I trust forums with my life and I'm a good listener. Also to answer someones questions I use premixed storebought saltwater for my changes and RO water for top off

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
ok u need better filteration than just an eclipse. a small protein skimmer should top it off, and an airstone. in 2 1/2 weeks, the tank will be cycled.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would get this skimmer for the tank CPR Bak-Pak 2 Protein Skimmer. it will help with your filtration and skimming your tank as for the air stone i would not use one. With this skimmer it will help filter and skim the tank witch is a vary inportant part of reef keeping/ look in to it and watch you heat in the summer with that small of a tank.
:pics:

lol
craig

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
whats the matter with an airstone?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts