Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I've had a 30 gallon tank for about a month and a half now. I'm not sure what went wrong, but I must have caused a mini cycle or perhaps the cycling was never completed. I went to get my water tested about 2 weeks ago and my nitrite level was very high (about 1 ppm, though I seem to be blind and having trouble telling the difference between 1 ppm and 5 ppm on the color card). Since then, I've done about 20% water changes every 3 days, and I've significantly reduced how much I feed them. I also purchased 2 small java ferns, and 2 anacharis. The plants and the food reduction were done only within the last 4-5 days. There has been no real noticeable difference the 4 times I have tested it since the two weeks.

The strange thing is, the fish seem fine, perhaps not at their best, but that probably can be explained by how little they've had to eat. I don't see any of the symptoms mentioned for high nitrite in my fish. They are still at all levels of the tank, the danios chase each other, the cherry barbs chase each other, etc.

The water changes, the reduced feeding, and the plants were all from suggestions I've read up on old posts in this forum. Is there anything else I can do, or should modify?

Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well, what it could be is the water that your using for the water changes.
what water type of water are you using? also, if you let the water just sit and settle for a little it could stabilize, but I know there is a water medication, it reduces nitrates and nitrites all in one. the brand name slips my mind, but I used it for my fresh water and it brought the nitrates to virtually zero! I picked it up just at my local family ran fish store. so I'm sure if there is a petco or petsmart near you they should have it.

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Amquel + will help detoxify nitrites but it won't get rid of them. Sounds like your tank is still cycling. It can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 6+ weeks to cycle. If you can stuff the tank with lots of anacharis or hornwort it will help a lot. I mean at least 50% of the tank planted or floating with these plants. Also add some salt to the tank about 1 teaspoon for each 5 gals. It will help the fish produce a heavier slim coat to help protect them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts