Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there I am a bit concerned. I have a 75 gallon moderately planted with about 65 nano fish, nerite snails and dwarf crayfish with a good amount of aquascaping going for about 3 months now. I have been doing weekly water changes about 35 - 40 %. Nitrates have been hanging around 30 - 40ppm not so good. It’s very hard to vacuum clean the gravel with all of the aquascaping and l was wondering if l should try to remove the driftwood to clean under it then do a water change but l am concerned about all of the waste and debris that will be kicked up would you recommend that?

· Registered
368 Posts
What kind of filter do you run? Might need to clean the pads, carbon, or bacteria nodes in a bucket of tank water. If its planted the plants should be consuming the nutrients that hits bottom. I have never vacuumed my substrate and I can say its not dirty. I totally my water everyday and no issues. I had to also quit putting plant nutrients into my tanks cause my plnts are growing to fast.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can try that to see if it helps. Up water change to about 60%
👍
If you decide to get under that driftwood have your siphon ready then lift and be ready to suck up any debris that comes up.
👍
I'd get a powerhead, small one and use it to blow everything out of the substrate that you can, that way your not moving anything. But I'd be using a powerfull filter once its all kicked up.
What kind of filter do you run? Might need to clean the pads, carbon, or bacteria nodes in a bucket of tank water. If its planted the plants should be consuming the nutrients that hits bottom. I have never vacuumed my substrate and I can say its not dirty. I totally my water everyday and no issues. I had to also quit putting plant nutrients into my tanks cause my plnts are growing to fast.
fluval 407 & tidal 110 on a 75 and l clean them monthly. I think l am over feeding

1 - 10 of 10 Posts