Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have a 55gal with gravel. A fake tree stump and some plastic plants, two Whisper 60s, air pump w/ two stones at each side and no fish yet. I am in the initial cycle for just over a week now. When I filled it I used the recommeneded amout of Prime from Seachem to remove chlorine, etc. I went by the LFS person and added a few flakes of fish food to get the ammonia levels up and added the recommended amount of API Stress Zyme+ for my size tank. After 2 days and no ammonia (testing with API Freshwater master kit) I put in ammonia from the store and have the levels to about 5ppm.

Two days ago I added, per the instructions, the second dose of API Stress Zyme+.

My problem is that the ammonia levels are still where they were, no nitrites or nitrates are showing up in the tests yet. Am I just to eager and keep testing or should I have noticed a decrease in ammonia and increase in nitrites and nitrites by now?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fishless Cycling:

Fishless cycling is a way to mature an aquarium by providing ammonia for beneficial bacteria to colonize. This form of maturing an aquarium reduces the chance for fish loss from insufficient populations of beneficial bacteria.
Beneficial bacteria consume ammonia and convert it to nitrIte where another type of bacteria convert nitrIte into nitrAte which is less toxic to fish and must be removed through water changes.
To start a fish-less cycle, set up an aquarium including pumps,lights,filters and heaters( bacteria will colonize filters/substrate etc.). Set the temperature to around 80 degrees. ( this will speed up the process) add ammonia so ammonia tests around 4-5 ppm. This can be fish food which will create ammonia while decaying or ammonia from either commercially sold ammonium hydroxide or ammonium chloride.
Add enough ammonia daily to keep ammonia level at 1-2ppm. when ammonia and nitrIte levels are at O ppm do a water change of 70-90% to remove most of the nitrAte build up. Cycling should be complete and fish can be added.Cycling can take up to 6 weeks and adding excess amounts of ammonia will not speed up the process. In addition beneficial bacteria can be bought at most fish stores and aquatic related catalogs, just be sure there is sufficient amounts of ammonia to support the bacteria.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you both...figured it was just me being impatient. But I get to wondering if I am doing it right or not. I want to add low light plants but that will have to wait till payday.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I guess all the waiting will give you plenty of time to figure out what you want to stock your tank with. You're going to be so happy when you finally put fish in your tank. What do you want to put in there?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not fully sure what I am going to stock it with. I am thinking of a community fish tank but still not settled on what fish.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am not fully sure what I am going to stock it with. I am thinking of a community fish tank but still not settled on what fish.
You should also determine if you want any inverts while deciding on fish. They can be awesome in planted tanks but some of them will become lunch depending on your stock. Have fun picking!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You should also determine if you want any inverts while deciding on fish. They can be awesome in planted tanks but some of them will become lunch depending on your stock. Have fun picking!
Inverts, such as snails?
The only thing I know of snails was when they tried to take over my old (many years a go) 10gal after buying a plant from local store in Va. Not sure what is good and what is bad to have in this case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts