Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
New
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hi to everyone and hope we can all share information and help each other out ;)))
we have just bought our first ever tank and are in the process of maturing it before we buy any fish....In my time-honored tradition - I'm trawling the net ( is that an insensitive term on this site ? ) for information...just found this site and looks as if it could be useful......the only thing that I am looking for currently is some help with what to put in the tank - it's a 40-gallon tank, we don't want anything exotic to start with.......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wanted to say hi to everyone and hope we can all share information and help each other out ;)))
we have just bought our first ever tank and are in the process of maturing it before we buy any fish....In my time-honored tradition - I'm trawling the net ( is that an insensitive term on this site ? ) for information...just found this site and looks as if it could be useful......the only thing that I am looking for currently is some help with what to put in the tank - it's a 40-gallon tank, we don't want anything exotic to start with.......
Hi there,

I'm also a newbie here and I hope I can learn a lot from here and share experiences. I'd say "welcome" but I feel like I haven't earned the right to say it heheh (cuz I'm new also)... so instead I'll say "good to see another person joining this wonderful community" :)

-Sean

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi and welcome to AF. 🐠 you got a 40 G tank. Great, you're going to love it. Now, what to put in the tank??? Um, I suggest fish. Haha Anyhoo, since this is your first tank I think you're right in staying away from Exotics until you get a good feel for fish keeping. So, let's talk fish. I don't know what you've already got so I'll mention all the basic stuff. Tank, lighting, filtration (very important), water test kit (also very important), heating, thermometer, etc. Another thing to consider is live plants. Now on to fish. Since you're new to this I suggest easy-care community fish like tetras and platies. There are many, many to choose from with beautiful color variations and they can be quite friendly too. Especially on feeding day. Haha again. I think I would caution against goldfish as they kind of dirty and will eventually outgrow your tank. Another good thing to do would be to just go to your local fish store and ask them for suggestions oh, see what they've got and what they put together. Hope this helps, have fun!

·
Registered
5 Gal Nano - Guppies, Cory, Dwarf Mexican Yellow Crayfish. 2.5 Gal - Fancy Shrimp
5 Posts
Hi, welcome to AF! You've probably heard the old adage "an inch of fish for every gallon of water," which is one of the worst "rules" in the hobby. I'd say maybe an inch of fish to every 5 gallons and do the math. And note the "inch of fish" refers to how big they get at maturity. A 1" Angelfish in the store will grow to 5-6 inches, for example.
I'd avoid bigger fish (require a 55 G tank, including Discus or Cichlids). I love Angelfish, but they also get big and prob would do better as a group of 5-6 in a 55 gallon. You might like schooling fish, a small group swimming together? I'd pick a group of Neon or Cardinal Tetras (maybe 10). Livebearers are what I think are best for beginners, but be aware they breed like crazy. Get three females for every male (as the male will chase 1-2 females to death)! These include guppies, swordtails, mollies, platies. Great red and yellow colors (also beautiful black mollies), and much easier to keep. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there,

I'm also a newbie here and I hope I can learn a lot from here and share experiences. I'd say "welcome" but I feel like I haven't earned the right to say it heheh (cuz I'm new also)... so instead I'll say "good to see another person joining this wonderful community" :)

-Sean
how to show you are a newbee without saying it again, I just replied to my own comment xD LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts