Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my name is Shannon. Just figured I would make an intro for myself...

I am a 19 year old Neuroscience major at the University of Central Florida. I also attended a year at Florida State. I am obsessive-compulsive, with my current obsession being fish tanks, and the compulsion being to buy more stuff for said fish tanks.

I have 4 running tanks right now, and 3 empty. People say that there will soon be more water in this apartment than oxygen, but I say I have a snorkel. :)

Anyway, how's everyone doing today?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hello Shannon!:welcome:

I can totally relate, it is an easy addiction to have. I have had to set a monthly fish budget, lest I need to find a divorce attorney!

I am so jealous that you are in Florida. How I would love to be able to crawl the beach playing in tide pools*w3*w3*w3

What kind of fish/tanks are you keeping? Let me be the first to harass you for some pictures!

I hope you find this site to be a great place to meet and chat with like minded OCD fish folk.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi. Your betta is a beaut. I just glanced at your profile, and he caught my eye. :)

My first fish was a betta named Freud Floyd. He was and probably always will be my favorite... I lost him about a month ago during a water change. I've never cried over a fish, but he was my buddy. :-/

Your's is feeling better, though, right?

Reactions: Chickadee

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Beautiful betta in that pic...sorry you lost him and I fully understand him being your buddy. They are special fish.

Thank you for joining and welcome to the site.

You will have to let us know what you are putting in those tanks and send pics when you get them full.

Welcome again!

Rose
:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Shannon!:welcome:

I can totally relate, it is an easy addiction to have. I have had to set a monthly fish budget, lest I need to find a divorce attorney!

I am so jealous that you are in Florida. How I would love to be able to crawl the beach playing in tide pools*w3*w3*w3

What kind of fish/tanks are you keeping? Let me be the first to harass you for some pictures!

I hope you find this site to be a great place to meet and chat with like minded OCD fish folk.
Florida is really great. I've lived here all my life, and I don't think I could survive without salt in the air. :)

I have a couple of tropical communities and a soon-to-be species tank, all with at least a few live plants, some majority.

This one was my first ever tank, before finding that my passion was natural tanks. In the corner you can see my female betta, Hunni. And there are two cories: an albino named Sunni and a spotted named Poki. Poki's mate, Dott, died yesterday after wedging herself under a filter in a smaller tank. :-( I plan on adding some more color, probably platies.

This is my 55 gallon when it was first set up. I have since added a bunch more plants, 8 black skirt tetras and 6 emerald cories (who keep laying eggs everywhere! Hard to breed my tush!) I am planning for some angels as well, but I've heard that allowing the tank to age for a few months will produce better results in fish survival.

This is my newest tank, just planted this morning. Currently no stock, but planning on dwarf puffers.

The last is a 2.5 gallon snail tank. Just for puffer snackies.
Whew.

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
nice tanks

Welcome.

You said you have 4 running tanks and three empty. I was just wondering if tanks run faster when empty?

·
Registered
250 Posts
nice tanks

Welcome.

You said you have 4 running tanks and three empty. I was just wondering if tanks run faster when empty?
:really funny:

Good one Bob!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice tanks

Welcome.

Obviously, they aren't running, so no. :) I'll fill them with energy bars and post an update.

Reactions: salth2o

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
sounds like we have a winner of a newbie here.

and a whiner of an oldie. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Man, do I love this place!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha. Seems like a fun place. Hopefully I can enrich the community with my research and short experience in the fish hobby. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Freud was in a 10 gallon. For me, that's a minimum for any fish (my snails, on the other hand, are in a 2.5 with a filter that gets frequent water changes, but they are food...) in my home. He was kept alone for a log time, then I added a couple cories, which he hated. Then the accident happened and I lost Freud. :-/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts