Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to the hobby and over the course of the pandemic, I became an owner of 8 tanks and 5 buckets. I have animals from shrimp to a baby arowana.

But today, I had a very curious discovery in my Taiwan bee shrimp tank. In this tank are 6 cardinias, 1 nerite snail, a few black worms doing their best mini Dune sandworm impression every night, and a couple dozen bladder snails. My discovery of these .. things really perplexes me. Nothing I have in that tank can produce something this big. This leads me to believe it came in on some plants I bought. My most recent addition was some subsswassertang I got off of EBAY.
The images below are from a USB microscope. I thought it was moving before but it could have been the snails underneath it. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get them out without applying the right pressure to my tweezers and white stuff came out. The more I look at it the more it looks like an egg pod. I am at a loss because nothing in that tank could possibly produce something this big besides the nerite snail. It's a good 1/2 CM in size. Does anyone know what these are? Most of the tank is covered by a weed carpet and I'm afraid there are more and these things will become some kind of isopod wreaking havoc in my tank. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
Freshwater scrub
10 Posts
To me that looks like some kind of insect pupa, which would mean it's probably dead unless it's from some kind of water bug. I don't know, but it's interesting. I would take it out and put it in something else just to be safe, but it's probably harmless.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts