Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a ten gallon tank with some mollys in it and its fine

but i recently adobted this 40 gal tank with 5 gold fish, they average around 4in in length. this tank was discusting before i got it, so i took everythign out cleaned it, and cleaned the gravel. I have an aquaclear 70(300) for my filter.

Sence i got the fish they have been laying on the bottom, and there fins are decaying. one of the fish were a more exotic gold fish with beautiful fins and now there horrible. they swim eroticly every now and then, and sometimes they swim normal.

I feel so bad for these fish, can any one help

ive heard that 5 gold fish are to much for a 40

Thanks thomas

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Well first off let me say welcome to the site. Hope you like it here.

On the 40 gal, sounds like your having a few different problems adding up to this situation.

Yes the tank isn't big enough for that many gold fish. You should have a minimum of 55 with a good filter on it.

How long has the tank been set up? Am I right to guess this tank hasn't cycled yet.

Do you take readings for your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? If not you should be as ammonia and nitrite are very dangerous to your fish. Get a test kit and test them. (best kits are the liquid test kits) or take a sample of water to your lfs and get the numbers then post them here.

What kind of water changing schedule do you use? With that many goldfish that are major waste producers will need one everyday in that size tank.

The staying at the bottom and fins getting into bad shape is due to bad water quality. I would start doing at least a 50% water change with dechlorinated water brought up to the same temp of the tank. And do this at least every other day. You should start seeing a difference right away.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Welcome to the site :) and ill not add to this discussion other than to say you seem to be in very good hands. However if you need more info or just want to chat feel free :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
tanks been set up for about a week. take my water where? whats an IFs?

i have heard that gold fish suck when it somes to waste, i dont care for them personaly but the person that was taking care of them had a green tank. is tap decloinated, or do u mean put some of that liquid stuff in the water. and honestly i really dont have time to do a 50% every day, i work part time and go to school full time.

amonia was inbetween .5-3.0
ph -7.2

Thomas

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
tanks been set up for about a week. take my water where? whats an IFs?

i have heard that gold fish suck when it somes to waste, i dont care for them personaly but the person that was taking care of them had a green tank. is tap decloinated, or do u mean put some of that liquid stuff in the water. and honestly i really dont have time to do a 50% every day, i work part time and go to school full time.

amonia was inbetween .5-3.0
ph -7.2

Thomas
LFS = local fish store

No tap water isn't dechlorinated unless your using a dedicated well. You would need to purchase dechlorinator from lfs/walmart/petsmarts/petco. Best to use is Prime which will dechlorinate as well as remove some metals and such in the water.

Gold fish are big waste producers and will live at least 10 years if taken care of. Water changes are a must with those and really no getting around it. Maybe you can find someone that has a pond to release them to, or at least 3 of them and keep 2 in the 40 gal, then you would still need to do water changes at least once a week.

I think most of us has gone through the school/work situation and I can relate to it as I did the same thing only mine was full time on both. If you can get hold of a python it would take less time to do a water change. I change water in 18 tanks at least once a week. some of my tanks require more than that as they are fry tanks. It takes me at the most 3 hours for that many tanks.

Once you get into a routine tank maint. it makes having fish more enjoyable as there is usually less problems with the fish getting sick and all.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
LFS, is your Local Fish Store :) Gold fish are notorious waste producers, and in a confined space can be a lot of work to maintain. With your busy schedule,i would suggest you either trade them in at your pet shop or simply put them in the pond you mentioned, and get some smaller less maintenance intensive fish. Like a group of White clouds, or neons etc. get 6-8 as they like to be kept in groups. Good Luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well once i do something about these gold fish ill put my mollys in the 40 gal.

will they be ok in the pond, there not that big, and there are bigger gold fish

1 - 10 of 10 Posts