Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:fish-new:Hello, I am new to this forum and was directed here by a member of the PlecoFanatics.com - The Ultimate Loricariidae and Plecostomus Community forum. I am new there as well and have been trying to get advice on what to do about my sick Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, aka a pleco. Here is a link to the thread at is rather long and you can details if you want. Pleco sick? Help... - PlecoFanatics.com

For the basic details, I am going to be purchasing a larger 50 or 55 gallon tank setup. I currently have a 27 or 29 gallon hex tank and poor Mr. Bigg is well...just too big for it. I have been concerned about what type of filtration system I should purchase :confused: as I do not have alot of money to spend. I spent $100 on a tank someone was selling on Craig's List and it has turned out to be a bad deal and unusable for my needs. (More on this on the pleco forum link above.) So now I am $100 in the hole and still have everything to buy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :fishRed:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just keep doing about 4 to 5 gallon water changes a week.And bring the tank temp down.84 is to high keep it about 76.
The Nitrate not such an issue.But keep the nitrite and Ammonia at 0 not 0.25 but 0.The frequent water changes will keep them lowered.Watch and make sure he is eating the wafers.Keep us posted and good luck..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Marty for your advice. I did purchase a new 55 gallon tank setup and stand stand yesterday so I will be working on getting that setup. In the meantime, Mr. Bigg is eating better. He is eating his wafers and has eaten some summer squash too these past couple nights. I took out a plant and ornament in my hex tank; this seems to give him some more room and he seems to be doing better. The heater in my hex tank is going out I think because it is not regulating the temperature so as soon as I get this new tank setup that problem will be gone.

I'll keep you posted on how everything goes. :)

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Even a sponge filter with a really good air pump will do. It is not so important that you purchase an expensive filtration device as that you have one that is adequate for the size of the tank. I love the sponge filters and depending on the size of the tank they can do a very good job. If the tank is very large a HOB filter like a EHEIM Liberty is easy to care for and not too expensive. But if expense is the driving force for now the sponge filters are the things that will save you the most. Get one rated for twice the size of your tank and a good quiet air pump like a Whisper air pump. It is worth the small amount of extra you will pay for a quiet air pump believe me. you will need an air control device and a check valve and that should do it. You can do the whole set up for under $30.00 for about any size tank and much less for a very small tank but it sounds like you have a bigger tank. Be sure that you get a big enough air pump though and a big enough filter or it will do you no good. then the only other thing you need is some airline and that can be any cheap airline you find. Hook it up like: pump...airline...check valve...airline...control valve...airline...filter That is all there is to it. Rinse the filter in dechlorinated water and put in the tank and plug in the air pump (before you put the filter in the tank) and adjust the air flow with the control valve. It will keep your water aerated and filtered too. When you change the water just rinse the filter in used tank water, never clean water and never hot or cold water or you will kill your cycle and put back into the tank. It will take a while to cycle the filter so it will need the same water changes to keep the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates under control until then to protect your fish.

Rose

1 - 6 of 6 Posts