Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all as you should be able to tell I am a !NEWB! However, I was interested in salt water fish but thought I should start in the freshwater world. I plan on buying a 55 gallon starter kit from wal-mart, I know that its probably not the best but I will upgrade when needed. I have built a prospectivve species list that I would like to put in my tank however I wanted to submit it here and get everyones opinions to see what people think.

Here is the list:

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Otter Point"

Aulonocara stuartgranti "Ngara Flametail"

Bedotia geayi "Madagascar Rainbow Fish

Centromochlus perugiae "Driftwood Catfish" or Liosomadoras oncinus "Jaguar Catfish"

Colisa lalia "Red Fire Gourami"

Corydoras elegans "Elegant Cory" or Corydoras sp. "Longfin Cory Cat" or Kryptopterus minor "Glass Catfish

Leporacanthicus triactis "Three Beacon Pleco" - L-091 or Pseudoacanthicus sp. "Redfin Cactus Pleco" L-024

Mbu Puffer or another puffer

Protomelas taeniolatus "Fire Blue"

Pterophyllum scalare "Gold Marble Angelfish"

Also if this list is compatible what would you feed everything and what substrate would you use? Also I would like to plant this tank, any suggestions?

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Here is the list:

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Otter Point"

Aulonocara stuartgranti "Ngara Flametail"

Bedotia geayi "Madagascar Rainbow Fish

Centromochlus perugiae "Driftwood Catfish" or Liosomadoras oncinus "Jaguar Catfish"

Colisa lalia "Red Fire Gourami"

Corydoras elegans "Elegant Cory" or Corydoras sp. "Longfin Cory Cat" or Kryptopterus minor "Glass Catfish

Leporacanthicus triactis "Three Beacon Pleco" - L-091 or Pseudoacanthicus sp. "Redfin Cactus Pleco" L-024

Mbu Puffer or another puffer

Protomelas taeniolatus "Fire Blue"

Pterophyllum scalare "Gold Marble Angelfish"

Also if this list is compatible what would you feed everything and what substrate would you use?
You have several aggressive and territorial types in there and some are shoaling types which mean you cannot in all good conscience have just one (usually a minimum of three to maintain their happiness and health). It seems that the ones you have chosen are either end of the scale when it comes to "yeah" or "nay" in the same tank. I would not have all those aggressives together in the same tank unless you intend to have a "semi-aggressive" themed tank and not put the poor little peaceful types in at all.

Puffers are not compatible with many others that they can get in their mouths.

ALL the Aulonocara species is not truly recommended for beginners. They are not good candidates for planted tanks and some of the other fish you have chosen would be more comfortable with plants. These fish are in need of Rocks and gravel only in their tanks. They are not good community fish. They also need a pH of approx 8.1 which is high on the scale for most other fish.

The Bedotia geayi does not require the high pH levels. It is not really recommended for beginners which is only a problem if you do not want any of the similar types of fish who are all recommended for beginners. For this fish they are in need of both plants and varied (rocks and driftwood) decor in the tank.

The "Jaguar Catfish" that I found was actually the Liosomadoras oncinus It is a lovely fish and is very good for beginners but has the drawback of needing the pH at the other end of the scale of 5.8. Your tank is big enough as long as you do not load up with other fish in this category. (it needs 50 gallons) It is a bottom dweller and needs lots of plants, rocks and driftwood and would appreciate caves to hide out in as it is nocturnal in nature. It is not an algae eater but a carnivore eating live worms or other carnivorous foods.

The Red Fire Gourami that you listed is actually the Dwarf Gourami and either way it is a good choice for a beginner in spite of being aggressive as long as you do not have any other members of the Anabantoids like Bettas, other Gouramis) as they will fight to the death of they come across each other. In a tank the size you have you MAY get by with having two but I would not guarantee it. The pH needed here is a moderate 6.8 which would make it very compatible with most other Tropicals for conditions. They appreciate a planted tank with the rocks. Driftwood would be unnecessary here but they would not be upset with it in their tank.

On the three Cory species that you listed, the Elegant cory will be the easiest and most likely to fit in of the three. It requires a pH of 7.0 and temperature is very close to the level of most fish. The LongFinned Cory grows to almost twice as large as the other species and requires very cool temperatures almost too cool for most tropical fish. (more compatible with the temperatures usually seen in goldfish tanks) The Glass Catfish while good choices are delicate and hard for beginners. They are shy and not good companions with any aggressive fish. They require a pH of 7.1, a temperature of slightly less than the other fish. (about 4 degrees lower) and they get about twice as large as the Elegant cory as well.

The Protomelas taeniolatus is another of the same type as the first group. The recommended pH is 8.0, no plants will be tolerated by this fish and driftwood is out of the question, it is not for beginners and does not make a good community fish.

The Pterophyllum scalare or Angelfish is a wonderful fish for a beginner and needs 50 gallons . It swims at all levels and its requirements are very compatible with most Tropicals. pH is 7.0 and temperature is right in line with the Cory Elegans and Gourami. Angels need to be purchased in breeding pairs or they will fight each other. Most really reputable stores will know how to tell which are paired if any. Just to buy two seperate ones may be a bit dangerous as they can be quite ferocious with each other if they decide they are not to be paired.

I was not able to find information on the other fish listed in my books and while I have enjoyed looking them up just do not have the time to go to the internet at present to do any more investigation. Sorry. Hopefully someone else can give you some more information.

Rose

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow that is a lot of GREAT info and I am very glad I came here first. What would be a list of compatible species that you would recomend that would give me a lot of color and variety?
If it could include one of the two cat fish that would be awesome! Thanks again :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts