Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone,
I am a new member and joined to get some advice on water testing. I have two older Orandas in a 15 gallon tank and am trying to cycle the tank for about a month now. I have been doing 50% water changes every two days or so because the ammonia test strips starts reading 3 or so. I also dose with Prime, 1ml for every 1 part of ammonia.
I consistently get a 0.5 on Nitrites and 0.0 on nitrates.
Am I doing something wrong to keep the tank from cycling?
Thanks!
Zeeknos

·
Super Moderator
8,287 Posts
One thing to note about prime, it only binds the ammonia but your test kit will still register. I suggest first and foremost, upgrade them into a larger tank. 15 gallons isn’t suited to Orandas, a 29 would work barely for the two of them, a 40 gallon would be best. Secondly, invest in a liquid test kit, it’s more reliable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, majerah1. I agree the tank is too small. I plan to correct that before next winter. In your opinion, should this tank start seeing nitrites and nitrates at some point?

·
Super Moderator
8,287 Posts
It should, for sure. Just sometimes they take a little longer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, majerah1. I agree the tank is too small. I plan to correct that before next winter. In your opinion, should this tank start seeing nitrites and nitrates at some point?
Good to know. I had convinced myself they were producing too much ammonia for the tank to cycle. But I really don’t know what it takes to produce nitrites, ammonia-wise. Would you be able to tell me your observations on that?

·
Super Moderator
8,287 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts