Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, im new to the site and currently have a fish tank!

its empty at the moment and im not sure what to put in it.

been to a local shop and had a little look and im very interested in some marine type fish but im not sure what sort of work needs to go into looking after marine fish?

got the water filter and the tank/light. really like the colour of the marine fish, so any adice and help your guys could give will be great.

tia

vanessa.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
well we need to know more info about the equipment you have...
1.size tank
2.brand and size of filter
3.lighting

btw welcome to the forum and hope you feel welcome

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
iv been given the tank so not surre on the size but the filter is warn so cant see what brand it is and the lighting is just at strip along the bottom of the lid lol sorry i dont have a clue *n1

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
ok...thats ok...how long is it more or less???2 feet?4feet?

and how big does the filter look?

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
Okay...it is like a 20 to 30 gallon. You want freshwater or saltwater??? Sw =more money. Keep that in mind

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
to be honest i think i need low maintanence to start with however i cant seem to find any nice fish i want brightly coloured ones

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
Ok have you seen the guppies or tetras?? Those are very colorful and are hardy for the most part...there are also tiger barbs that come in varieties. Those are my first fish ( tiger barbs)

Google the ones i gave you

·
Cornelius
95 Posts
Freshwater requires far less maintenance then salt, especially given the size of your tank.

If you are really interested in color, you could try ordering some show guppies, they can be much more colorful then what you find in the pet stores. They will run you about $60 for a trio, 1 male and 2 females. The females will come pregnant though, so you will fill up your tanks pretty fast.

With marine and freshwater both, you will want to get a good bulb in for lighting. A good bulb will really make the colors in your tank bright and vivid. You are certainly not going to be able to get marine colors in a freshwater tank, but freshwater is considerably cheaper (for the most part) and far less maintenance.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
once you get a good enough lighting system you could get a couple of plants as well

which will make your tank look so much better and healthier

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i really like the show guppies now just have to find a decent seller now as they all seem american bit far for me to get them lol

·
discus_dude
215 Posts
welcome to our forum...
at first you keep your marine aquarium away from direct sunlight,then you choose a diy filtration system along with protein skimmer.then you add water mixed with declorinator ,add salt.use a saltwater mixing kit.you can use hydrometer to know how much salt is dissolved in your water.the desired level is 1.020-1.025 sp. gravity....
you will give 1 pound of sand per galon of water.then give live rock.add biological addetive to start nitrofication process.
you should install a heater to know about the temp.the temp should be 72-78frht.
then you should cycling your tank.during the cyling period you can add fish 1 or 2 per week.after complete set up you have to should well aware of water parameter and you should do water change...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thank you all very much im from the uk leeds so still looking been to a few shops but havent been able to find the right type of fish as of yet

·
Cornelius
95 Posts
Good luck vanessaT, keep us posted on the progress and welcome to the forum.

I just read my fist reply again, I certainly wasn't trying to talk you out of a saltwater tank. They are very cool, they just require more upkeep. In smaller tanks you really have to watch them as well, as it takes less to throw them out of balance and they tend to be unstable because of that. If you think you have the time for a saltwater, I can walk you through some of the setup and where you can skimp to save money and still have a nice, stable tank.

Have you looked at Discus? They are pretty cool freshwater fish as well, a little pricey though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no its ok lol i wasnt put off but just wanted to know what would be the easiest option for me as i dont want to take on something im unsure of and end up killing all my fish so all these commemts have been very helpfull

·
*blackback butterflyfish*
208 Posts
I think your best bet is to get a couple community fish, saltwater fish are more colorful and very fun, but it is alot of work and i think should be more left to someone with alittle more experience in the hobby. If you have the tank, filter and lighting... consider gravel for the substrate, some decorations, a bubble strip and pump, thermometer, heater, spring water or start right for tap water, a test kit for the water and food.. Once all these things are in place, let the tank run for awhile and then add 1 or 2 fish, you don't want to rush it. Good luck!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts