Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone!*Glasses* My wife and I have had freshwater fish tanks for over 13 years and we are ready for a change (our 55gal started leaking, had it for about 10 years and I do not want to spend the time or money to fix it!) We are going to get a 29 gal Oceanic Bio Cube in about two weeks and I would like to get as many pointers as I can before we spend the money on what seems like a labor of love. If anyone can let us know if that is a good tank or if we should go for the Red Sea Max aquarium. Thank you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi and welcome,
Planing is key before you buy a new tank, I would figure out what type of system you are going to run first and what fish corals invertebrates you intend to keep.
Ive found that keeping salt water chemistry perfect to be very hard work in a small system and so would advise you to buy the biggest tank you can.

Reactions: Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. We just figured the Bio Cube since nearly everything you need comes with it. My wife didn't want a big tank this time because our old 55 gal took up so much room. Maybe I could talk her into a larger vertical type tank!

·
Cornelius
95 Posts
for 29 gallon I would start with researching anything you can find on nano reef keeping. You are going to have to spend much more time on upkeep with a saltwater system that small. Read up on it and be sure you are up to the task before dumping the money.

There are a lot of semi-used Oceanic bio-cubes out there because the people were not aware of what they were getting into when they bought it. It is, however, very possible to keep a healthy tank in a 29 as there are a whole lot of people doing it!

Even with the instant access to information the net provides, in saltwater you really should pick up a good book or two. They will pay for themselves pretty quickly. Get one specifically on fish especially. The LFS will have a recommendation for sure.

Good luck, saltwater is good stuff, just time consuming compared to fresh.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site! Bigger is better-Red Sea Max is technically bigger than the biocube, and comes with more stuff(protein skimmer, better lighting system, etc.), so it's the better choice. Research is key, so post all the questions you might have along the forum or check out good nano-reef sites, such as fishlore.com

Reactions: Joe
1 - 6 of 6 Posts