Aquarium Forum banner

New to the Hobby

729 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  susankat 
#1 ·
Hi to everyone! I'm Jaffrey. Joined to learn new info about the hobby.
I know absolutely nothing about fish keeping. But have an idea to get a goldfish. I'll appreciate any advice to start from.

#4 ·
another thing is this start large a 20 gallon tank i what i recommend stocking options for that would be

7 oto catfish
1 betta fish male
2-3 apple snails
and if you really want to push it colony of red cherry shrimp make sure you know about the nitrogen cycle here is link to learn about it Nitrogen Cycle in Aquariums - Understanding the Basics and for a 55 gallon tank

12 yellow labs
3-4 pygmy synodontis
4-5 apple snails
if you really want to push it 1 bristlenose pleco

#6 ·
You will get better advice from forums. If you want goldfish there is a forum dedicated to that. the info for a 55 above is not that good. Labs yes they need groups as they are aggresive, but the apple snails wont last long as they will be picked on by the labs as food.

#8 ·
Hi, Jaffrey! I'm The Fish Lady! The most valuable information that I can give you is watch out for ammonia for Goldfish are notorious for this! Get an uv light for this will definitely help with the cloudiness that you will encounter in your aquarium and be VERY CAREFUL for Ich! They are very notoriously to contract this disease as well. Unfortunately, we learned the hard way...😢😢 we had 20 beautiful Goldfish and the Ich wiped every one of them out...ughhh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.