Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
ga1ba2
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. I am a long time aquarist, over 50 years. I currently have 2 55 gallon tanks. One has a 10 year old oscar with a Fluval 304 canister filter which is great. A lot of room for different filter media. My other tank is a community tank with an under gravel filter with 2 power heads which I also like very much. My question is are there any products that can be inserted in the uplift tubes that can contain charcoal or ammonia remover and then the power head installed without reducing the flow very much? What about attaching it to the output of the power head? I am talking about some kind of refillable cartridge.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Kinda hard to say since you already have the UGF up and running.You can buy carbon pouches at the LFS.What i would do is go and buy an Aquaclear filter.It hangs on the back of the tank it has the bio media and carbon already in it.Since you have the UGF running it would not take a big one.Around 25-30 bucks.Course the bigger the better but it will only be a backup for carbon mainly so it does not really matter!

·
Master of mistakes
35 Posts
Hello to all. I am a long time aquarist, over 50 years. I currently have 2 55 gallon tanks. One has a 10 year old oscar with a Fluval 304 canister filter which is great. A lot of room for different filter media. My other tank is a community tank with an under gravel filter with 2 power heads which I also like very much. My question is are there any products that can be inserted in the uplift tubes that can contain charcoal or ammonia remover and then the power head installed without reducing the flow very much? What about attaching it to the output of the power head? I am talking about some kind of refillable cartridge.
not sure there is anything specific that you can use that would not be a DIY BUT no matter what you use it will slow down your flow....why do you want to use this stuff? a well balanced aquarium will always be clear and should be free of amonia...I would tear it down and rid yourself of the undergravel filter.....this is a problem once dirty enough.

Peace

1 - 3 of 3 Posts