Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Newly infected with MTS.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. We recently set up a new 55gal tank with a Fluval 305 canister. She's had some fish before, but this is my first tank. So far we have 2 Gourami (1 Opaline, 1 Gold), 3 Silver Dollars and a lone Rainbow Shark. So far everything is going really well (crossing our fingers). One of the Dollars does like to hang out with the two Gourami sometimes, but the other two follow each other everywhere. In a month or so, we're looking to add a few Angelfish and another bottom feeder, likely a FeatherFin Catfish.

I do have a couple questions:

What is a good number of Angelfish to have? I know they're monogamous, so should it be 2 male and 2 female?

Also, we have 3 Ribbon Plants and 2 Aqua Ferns. Any suggestions on a couple other good plants to have?

Thanks in advance!

Jason

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I had a good friend who kept angels and she told me that they pick their own mates and it cannot be forced so try to watch them in the tanks at the store and pick ones who are "together" otherwise picking them seperately may be a mistake. They may never form bonds and become pairs. If you want pairs be sure to buy pairs that you can see are probably established and act that way. You will have better luck with them that way. That is the best advice I can give you.

·
Newly infected with MTS.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the Angelfish info and welcomes!

After doing some more reading, I don't think the FeatherFin would be a good idea. A couple of Oto Cats sound more our speed, not to mention the immense cleaning help!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If you want to have plants in the tank Otto's are a better choice.... as far as what type of plants. That will be determined by the lighting system the subtrate that you have choosen and what types of ferts you want to use.

·
Newly infected with MTS.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Great info, thanks! I didn't realize the FeatherFin wasn't much of a cleaner. That just makes the choice even easier.

djrichie - We have standard lighting that came with the tank, and smaller, dark gravel on the bottom with no UGF. I think we'll wind up sticking with java ferns, guppy grass and the like for now.

EDIT: Okay, we may not get plants, as it appears our Silver Dollars would probably wind up eating them all after reading several sources.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts