Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All:

I'm another new resident of South Florida, moving here from Ohio. I'm a longtime hobbyist, formerly Breeder's Award Chair for FAAS, and currently counsel to the ACA. On the local level in Cincinnati I've served as Show Chair, Newletter Editor, BAP Chair and FAAS rep.

Some of you may have seen my online articles about 1000 gallon concrete cichlid tanks, and breeding the longeared sunfish (I'd post the links here, but as a newbie I'm not permitted yet).

I attended the August GCAS meeting, and I'm delighted to find people who share my interests (cichlids and natives). I've collected five species of cichlids in the wild (mariae, jewels, mayans, managuensis and oscars) since I arrived in mid-June, and I am looking forward to joining the dipnetting expeditions which I understand are occasionally organized by GCAS members.

Meanwhile, I am interested in finding a good price on a used (or new) 125 with stand - from someone who can help me move it (I have only a very small car until my wife joins me from Ohio with our SUV). I have a 9 inch male oscar (from Loxahatchee NWR), and he's not happy about living in a 55. Any suggestions for a retail or hobbyist source for such a tank and stand (at a reasonable price) would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Will first off welcome to S. Florida, and what part of OH did you come from.... I was born ing Stuebenville OH, and got a family farm in Sommerset, OH. As far as where to find a stand.... I would look online and alot of store offer free shipping if you spend over 150. I order a stand from Petco (beleave it or Not) for my 70 gal and called them and they gave me a code (green) that gave me free shipping..... I'm in Miami so if your here in this part of S. Fl I might be able to help to help move it... I have an older honda van

·
Registered
28 Posts
i can help you move a big tank too. that size glass tank you would like three or four for the lifting. i also have a 1/2 ton chev pickup. you can build the stand if you just find the tank. you should also check craigslist pet section (and other sections). i have been seeing 200 gal ponds in the farm&garden section lately which have been tempting me.

rd

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Welcome aboard!
I have a 120 that would perhaps be good for you. I'm moving this week but we could perhaps arrange something. It's filled with water now and on a stand that I am keeping, but if you can wait a week or two I will give you a good deal on it. It has two wide glass center braces and I'm replacing it with a tank with one thin plastic center brace. The tank also has a built in overflow in the center. I'm the second owner of the tank and have had it running for about two years as a reef.
PM'ing you my #

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome Fred!!
I spent 7 years with the Greater Akron Society, Cleveland and Medina.
Loved showing...won Best of Show in Cleveland in the 80's, spoke many times on breeding angels and besides Chuck I am your Auctioneer.
Always auctioned at shows.
so glad to have you here!
See you at the next meeting!
Becky

1 - 6 of 6 Posts