Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is bill and my granson just got two red claw crabs after his mom got rid of a very large trout he had been growing for a couple of years. Anyway, I noticed todat that one of the crabs is very white. I have only researched these crabs very little on line. Can anyone please tell me why it would be turning white. Maybe molting??? At any rate I am glad to have joined this site and will use it quit often for advise. thank you, Granpa Odell

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Reefer
213 Posts
welcome to the forums and by the way there are several things that could be happening to your clawed friends. A picture may assist but it could be molting as you have said or it could be a disease. If you do not have a camera i would do a google image search to see if you can find a similar picture with a label on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the regards. I hopem this little fellow will be in good health soon. I have tried every shop here in town for advise and believe it or not, most don't really know about these crabs. Kinda makes one thik that if that is true, then why are they selling them. Plus we had to sign a waiver about somella because they told us that these crabs can carry it. Another thing that makes me wonder too. Why would a good pet shop carry animals that can transfer a diesese to people. Isn't that just an accident waiting to happen. We are so confused about this whole business. At any rate, take care, The kids and granpa odell....
;o)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well, I would have initially thought molting, but if it is still white, that is kind of strange. Unless it is just characteristic of the species. Sometimes crabs and other invertebrates will change color with sexual maturity or as a result of a change in their habitat like temperature, pH, nutrient availability, etc. I don't know about these red claw crabs, but it may be normal. Hard to say. Welcome to the forum and best of luck with the new critters!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The same thing about pet stores with turtles. They sell them because their popular, even if they can't even pronounce the name right

1 - 9 of 9 Posts