Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Im new to the aquarium world and have a couple of questions about my set up. I bought a 20 gal tank and kit made by Aqueon that came with the hood, light, filter, and heater. Is the best place to put the heater right next to the filter? I was doing research and finding maybe it should be right next to the filter (its in the right corner now and the filter is in the left). How far away from the filter induction tube should it be? Should i put it on the left side or right side of the filter? Also, the stick on thermometer should be on the opposite side as the heater, correct? Sorry for all the nitt-picky questions, i just want this to be done right. Thanks for the advice and i really am looking forward to learning all kinds of info from this forum. Any other beginner advice would be great.

There is a pic in my aquarium gallery since i cannot post links just yet.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Does not really matter if it is next to the filter.Mine is on both my tanks.Just keep it on the opposite end of the thermometer!Tank looks good any idea what your going to stock it with?And make sure you cycle the tank before adding any fish.And what type of filter is that on it.Most filters that come with the kits are not that great.So make sure your filter will work accordingly with the setup you will have in the end!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The filter is an Aqueon filter. It seems to be pretty good from what ive read about it, it says is has 4 stages, and has a carbon filter. I set it up today and wont be able to get fish and stuff in it till like thursday. Will running the heater and filter till then cycle it enough for fish to be safely put in? Or do you need some fish in to cycle it? Im not exactly sure what is going in it, i just want some cool lookin active fish haha. The aquarium shop i went to is awesome, they have tons of fish and the staff was really helpful. Basically i want a variety of bottom feeders, middle feeders and top feeders. Nothing too crazy or aggressive, i just want them all to get along well. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
187 Posts
No the heater and filter alone will not cycle the tank.well it might cyle but might take a year lol.I recomend Bio-Spira to help cycle it.your LFS should have some or could get you some.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
bioSpira is rare nowadays, if u cant find it than nutrafin cycle works just as well.

Reactions: Marty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh ok ill look into that. Im still concerned about the heater though, it was on for a long time (like over 12 hours) to get the tank to the 76 degrees it was set on. Will it heat things up faster closer to the filter? How far away do you all have your heaters from your filters? Some pics would help a lot. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
76.F is the perfect temp for tropical fish. it would probably heat things faster next to the filter.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Bio spira is no longer called that for Freshwater use. Tetra and Marineland have combined forces and come out with a new product that is the same thing but improved for freshwater tanks as the Bio spira was

SAFESTART (instant tank cycler)(replacement for MarineLand "bio-spira")

I am posting the link above to show you the product not to advocate that you purchase it there unless you cannot find it anywhere else. It does not need refrigeration so does not need to be shipped refrigerated as the old product did. It also has a shelf life of 6 months and can be used in part and kept for later use although the bottle will say to use the whole thing.

I would hesitate to use CYCLE to cycle a tank as the bacteria in it is a different strain and you must continue to use it for a much longer time to promote a cycle and it will go through a mini cycle when you stop which does not happen with the SAFESTART. I have done both types of cycle personally so I am aware of the differences. I have also used a product that is called TURBOSTART700 that is the forerunner of all the "instant cycle" products and find it probably the Cadillac of all the products in use. A lot of large aquariums around the country use it and it can be purchased in amounts up to 1 gallon in size for very large tanks or as small as 1 ounce for small tanks. It does have the drawback of very high shipping costs due to needing refrigeration but they are wonderful to deal with and the product will be in your hands within 24 hours or they replace it free of charge. They also have a Saltwater formula TURBOSTART900. If I had a tank that I was especially wanting to make a go of, I would go with the Turbostart as a premium product.

Rose

1 - 8 of 8 Posts