Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Just thought I'd stop in and introduce Myself. My name is Jason, I'm 36 and currently live in Austin, TX. I was born and raised in Hawai'i, and growing up had 2 55 gal natural harvest tanks with nothing but stuff We(family and friends) had caught Ourselves. Coral, Slipper Lobster, Morays, Rock Fish and various other fish and invertebrates. Many a Midnight reef walk brought Us numerous treasures from the Pacific Ocean.

In any case, I haven't had a tank in many years and finally just broke down and bought a little 10gal freshwater setup, just to kinda ease My way back into things. So far, I'm thinking I should've just stuck with salt, at least I would know what to expect, lol. Ph, nitrates, ammonia levels etc. are all within variance, but My tank is persistently cloudy...guess I didn't realize how much poop 5 dwarf Gouramis and 2 Corys would produce...

Anyhow, really looking forward to learning from Y'all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.
It has only been up about 2 months or so. I think I'm gonna give My fish to a friend and go salt soon. Saving for the right lights now. Just want a couple of Gobys and some live rock.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well salt is great, but fresh is really fun too! You should stick with it a few more months and see how you like it. It's just as rewarding with a little time =)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I took Your advice and decided to keep the 10 fresh. Sadly, this means I am now slowly saving for a bigger tank/lights for salt. Would like to go around 75gal or so, but not 'til I move off the 3rd floor, lol.

Got a new fluorescent hood for My fish and replaced all the fake plants I had for real ones, then did a total renovation (added more gravel, moved junk around and ditched the bubble wall for 3 balls). Figured it was due time I dropped a pic or 2.

BEFORE

AFTER

Oh, and the fantail pleco also means I'll eventually be getting a larger fresh tank, too.(damn MTS, this always ends up happening to Me. It's why I stopped last time, lol)

·
Aqua Addict
292 Posts
That's a nice looking tank. I am really excited to try a salt water tank. But I'm holding off until I get a place of my own. 5 tanks in my parents house already. I think the 6th would be the breaking point. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts