Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I am in the process of setting up a 55 gallon tank. After many moons I've taken up the hobby again. I started by filling my tank and 24 hours later added 5 tiger barbs and 5 danios. While netting the barbs, the fish store owner accidentally captured a red-tailed shark as well and let me keep it as a bonus!!

Soooo, the fish are now in the tank 14 days and appear to be absolutely fine. Waiting on a test kit to test water parameters.

When my tank has completed cycling, I would like to have some fairly large, stocky fish. My LFS owner suggested a bala shark, as it wouldn't grow 2 big. But I had already read a little and knew that the bala shark would probably grow 2 big for my tank. I think I would like silver dollar fish. Would these do well in my tank. I am aware of the tiger barbs affinity for fin-nipping, so I know this will limit what fish I can have in my tank. Any suggestions for a good fish combination for my tank? Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Welcome. You need to watch the nitrate levels in the tank as you tank has not established a bio colony yet or at least it hasn't grown enough to support the fish that you have. When you get you test, kit hopfully soon, test for the Nitrates and a 20% WC without vacumming the gravel let it get dirty, this will help getting that Bio-Colony going. If you can get a dirty filter floss, you can cut it into strips and place it in you filter that will help alot. You din't mention what type of filter you are using so I'm assumming its a HOB, if it is a canister see if you can get some dirty ceramic rings and use them, if not just place the floss strips in the canister filter on the bottom.

You are correct about the bala shark it will out grow the tank you have, silver dollars will as will. As far as tiger barbs be fin nippers, you are correct in that as will, except they are less likly to be fin nippers if kept in schools of 7 or more, this seems to curve that action. I glad to see that you are doing research on the fish you like to see if you can house them properly and not just taking the word of a LFS, in most cases LSF want to sell you something anything, and I seen them tell people the craziest things. You say you want to keep larger fish, just a caution ther if you planning on keep smaller fish like tiger barbs with larger fish, there a good chance the smaller fish will become a meal as soon as there mouths are big enough to eat them.

Welcome again and there are alot of people here to help with any questions you might have, so feel free to ask or answer any questions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi again, and thanks for the info. I am using 2 Fluval 3 Plus filters in my tank. I have an activated carbon pad and a foam pad in each filter. Is this a good setup? I have airstones on the way as well for aeration.

Also, the Tiger barbs are dispensable if they are going to limit me TOO much in what other species I can have in my tank. If I find that I can't get the fish that I want, I will give the barbs away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts