Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, upgrading from a 10 gal tank to a 36 gallon, looking for peoples advice on what filter setup to use. I was thinking of a emperor 400, perhaps and/or a canister filter? Can you recommend a decent, reasonably priced canister? Any help greatly appreciated. Also want to use crushed coral somehow in the filter, so looking for something that has a media basket or something. (hope that makes sense) Thanks again for your help!

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
The Hagen Fluval is an excellent choice for a canister filter, it has chambers for all 3 major types of filtration - biological, chemical, and mechanical. The popular alternative Marineland Magnum in my opinion does not perform all three functions well.
The older model Fluval that I have has three baskets that you can fill with anything you desire, crushed coral being no problem. You may not even need a bag to hold it, just pour it right in if you want. Put it above the sponge so that it does not become compacted with detritus as fast, leave that job to a sponge or filter floss before it. The new model I have not personally used but its probably very similar if not unchanged aside from the shape and some minor design updates.
One piece of advice - stretch the o-ring when putting it on the canister, don't roll it on as it will roll back off as you put the lid on :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a Penguin Bio Wheel. It comes with empty baskets you can add your own media to. The spinning wheels for cultures, and the sponge filters that also have charcoal included.
I have owned it for 9 years!
I have noticed it got a little louder last year when I added the cichlids. I think they might have spit some sand up in the filter. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts