Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my girlfriend and I want to make an upgrade to our fishkeeping capability, and we want to go big. We want to get a 90g tank, along with a stand. Now, that's not the hard part.

We know that we'd like to get power filters, as we don't really have the money for canisters right now. I had thought that a Marineland Emperor 400 coupled with an Emperor 280 would be more than enough filtration, but I need opinions.

Also, we've never really had a tank this big before, so we're curious: where should we begin? What should we get? And the biggest thing of all, what fish would you recommend? We currently have a 20H, a 10g, and a 5g fry/quarantine tank. We only have guppies and platies so far, so that why we have the concern for such a big tank. You can do a lot more.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Also, how do you guys feel about substrate? She's more partial to sand, but we have no idea how to clean it.

*c/p*

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
I have Marineland and I really dont like the bio-wheels because after a while the wheel stops spinning. I had to remodify it and shave down the pointy ends to keep it spinning. If I upgraded to a tank that big. I would plant a bigger variety and bigger species of plants and keep the same fish. Also with a buttload of shrimp. Or I would go with discus, they are costly but Ive always wanted them :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was actually worried about the bio-wheel in my current 20g's emperor, as it seems kind of a weakpoint. What would you recommend for filters?

Also, we're relatively new to live plants; we just recently bought java moss and water sprite, and we're definitely open to more variety.

As far as the discus, that was actually one of the kinds we had in mind. ^_^

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
I heard AquaClear got good reviews but I havent used an AC filter before so I cant compare it with the Marineland. I know more people using AquaClears than Marinelands though. Since you already have 2 Marineland filters, I would say continue to use it until it doesnt work (saves money =] ). Just keep the wheel spinning and shave the ends if it starts to slow down or stop as I did to keep it moving.

I have water sprite too! A whole garden of it in a corner of my tank amoung many other plants. A really green and pretty plant and it propagates like crazy. I took a leaf and cut it into 10 peices and all 10 peices became plants. It gives a very good home for my baby fish.
Congrats with the plants, plants do wonders in aquariums :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I take back what I originally said. My girlfriend has managed to talk me into getting a bigger 100g tank, and also a canister filter. Now, this is completely new to me. I have never used canisters before, so any advice on care, and more importantly, models, would be greatly appreciated. I have heard good things about Fluval, but the LFS suggested Odysea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts