Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say hi to everyone as I am new to the site and ask a few questions for a tank I just picked up. I got a 60 gallon long tank that I planned to set on a dresser as a stand but it is too small, the tank is hangs over about 2 inches on each end. Will this be ok or will it damage the tank when filled with water. Also I already have an established 45 gallon tank in the same room. What would be the best way to get the new tank established the fastest?. I was thinking about just taking some water from the old tank and filling the new tank. Would this be the best idea? Thanks alot guys, Chris.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i would suggest running a sponge filter in the established tank for about a week's time and also as you add that dirty sponge to the new tank you can take some of the the filter material from the established tank and squeeze it into the new filter or you could be like me and run the new filter on the established tank for a while before you set up the new tank.
As far as the tank on the dresser, the overhang on the 2 sides may cause undue stress on the bottom of the tank and it is important to have support along all the edges of the tank.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was given that suggestion for a 75 gallon tank and it was frowned upon due to safety issues, but since in this case he needs length it should be okay.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
extending the base (or surface area) where the tank sits id better than letting it float out in the air, but it still has no support for the edges of the tank. Jbar is correct it will put undo stress in the tank, and you run a risk of the tank cracking. It should work but IMO I wouldn't do it. I have seen tanks that were bowed and twisted becuase of a poor support for the tank and they never broke, but than I had talk to people that one day they wole up to a room full of water and tank full of dead fish as will....

Personally I would find a spot were the tank has the proper support.... but hey thats just me

·
Registered
139 Posts
just make sure its real plywood and not that osb board. i wouldnt do this myself, but its your tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts