Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. i am setting up a 30gal FW planted community and right now i have an Aqueon Size 30 glass aquarium with a penguin bio-wheel 100. the list of needed equipment is as follows:
another penguin bio-wheel 100
1 150W heater(not sure what brand)
60lbs of small gravel
seachem flourish
seachem prime
lights suitable to make a good variety of hardy plants(not sure about brand or power yet)
and my dad says he'll have a stand ready before august.

the fish list is:
4 panda cories
3 otos
3 wagtail platies
7 neons
2 kribs

the questions are:
1.whats the best heater brand?
2.whats the best lighting system to get?
3.ive heard mixed reviews about mixing kribs with neons. is it ok to mix the 2? or should i not take the chance?

thanx.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
As far as heaters go you cannot beat the Visitherm Stealth by Marineland. Just keep your receipt and box and it will be lifetime warrantied. I have never had one fail me ever. The deluxe style has broken though so do not get it, it is a glass heater. The Stealth will not break ever.

Rose

Reactions: petlover516

·
New Member Manager
689 Posts
for filters, im personally a fan of the penguin bio-wheels.

A 150W heater will work, but people have gotten away with a 100W in a 30g.

I have never personally kept kribbs, but I hear that they can have some problems with neons, BUT the neons can acclimate to different water conditions.

By the way, I really like the fish you picked out. Make sure to post a picture when your done. :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so what brand of fluorite? your saying i should go 60lbs of flourite? ive been trying to set-up the tank gradually, getting a new piece of equipment every week. originally i was going to get the 2nd filter today, but now im not sure if i should get an aquaclear 30 or another penguin 100, so i think i'll get the heater.

for plants i plan on getting chained valisneria, amazon sword, and maybe a few others, not completely sure.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so aquaclear 30 it is. since i will be using a penguin and an aquaclear on the same tank, i will be able to judge which one is better! and i also want to prove to my dad that aquaclears are better than whispers!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how do i do a drop test?

and yes i will probably post a build thread.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well, I just use a normal heater that goes up to 100ºF (I never turn it that high) and I just use an aqua clear filter.

I have a 20 W 6,500k light that is said to be high intensity and my plants are still alive. I just have plants that aren't always recovering very well. I have no idea why... but my severum loves eating my swords.

Aqua clear filters are really good as far as I have known. They keep my water clean as long as I rinse out the filter components out with aquarium water all the time. At least once a week. I don't change my filter sponge anymore until next year because they are said to be able to last for up to 1 year.

I have a lot more live plants so my tank has the nitrite count of 0 and 0 ammonia too :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok well i was checking out the heaters at my LFS and found out that the visi-therm 150W is too tall for my tank! so than i decided to use 2 75watts, but the LFS didn't have any! so i just got the aquaclear 30 instead. so dark your saying that all i need is 1 20W 6,500k to keep the plants i want to keep? will that work in a regular 36" hood? or do i need 1 made for high-intensity bulbs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts