Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a 125gal Aquarium from a woman I met today.

My question is about a protein skimmer.

I want to run a Rena xP3 or xP4 canister filter. Is there a way I can run a protein skimmer with this filter that is not a HOB?

My goal on this tank is to have the cleanest looking setup I can as far as equipment sticking in the tank. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Get rid of the cannisters and run a sump if you want a clean looking tank that way you can keep the skimmer and heaters along with any reactors down there and a sump/fuge will work better than a cannister

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get rid of the cannisters and run a sump if you want a clean looking tank that way you can keep the skimmer and heaters along with any reactors down there and a sump/fuge will work better than a cannister
Thats what i have been looking in to now that i have been doing some research about this. The only concern i have with a sump is that i will end up with a lot of salt under my tank from the water evaporating. is this something i will have to worry about?

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks
ok ive just been ending up with salt around my tank but thats because of my aeration
i cant wait to get this new tank

·
Registered
943 Posts
You can still get salt creep but that shouldn't be that bad and dont run air on a salt water tank it just makes a mess and isn't needed

·
Registered
943 Posts
OK got ya, but at least with the skimmer in the sump you wont see it and you can just clean it off when it starts to build up. I would just make sure you have the inside of the stand sealed with a good polyurethane if you have a wood stand

1 - 8 of 8 Posts