91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank specs:

55 gallon
topfin 60 filter

Fish in tank:
pleco (about 4 years old)
9 neon tetras
4 bala sharks (classified as medium at the store)

plants:

Pongol sword
Amazon sword

Structures:

You can see them in my gallery.
One is a little cave thing, the other is a little bigger and I guess like a ancient ruins looking thing.

I just got a new tank and I transplanted a few fish from my old tank and added a few more. Anyways, I have had a red tailed shark before and it worked well. I just wondered if that or a rainbow shark would go well with what I have. I would get one or the other. Is one better than the other? Also, I have seen these new glofish (zebrafish) around, what are people's thoughts on those.

Plant wise I figured I could add a few more. I just don't want any that will make a big mess. Any suggestions?

If there is anything else that I should add to benifit my tank let me know. I look forward to replys. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Lol first off bala shark get up to 15 inches.....Much too large for your tank. Any tetras are easy and some are quite beautiful if you want to do a small fish like that. Mollies, swordtails, killifish, glass cats, and hatchetfish are my favorite small community fish.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Will first off you need to cycle that tank.... and you will be needing a complete freshwater testing kit. Now that you have fish in there you will be needing to watch the Nitrate and ammo levels. Congrates on the new tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First of all that tank I'm sorry to say is too small for the Plec and the Bala's. Secondly if you haven't already cycled the tank the Neons probably won't survive as they are very sensitive to high levels of ammonia and nitrites. If possible move them all out to another tank while you cycle the new one or maybe add some seasoned filter media or substrate if you can get your hands on it.

If you already have it cycled your ok but again think about moving the Plec and Bala's to something larger, an 80 gallon would be the recommended minimum for them.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Lucy is correct about the neons, they are a weak fish, when it comes to WQ. I personally will only have neons if they are wild caught as the captive breed are even weaker. You show that you have 5 bala sharks, I would try and return them to the store, and then look for a LFS not a chain store, generally the people who work at LFS have an enjoyment of this hobby as will. To be safe when selecting fish you should look for fish you like and then research them in a fish altas or online. One important thing to remember that stores are there to do one thing sell you something, anything. So some of there advise is jaded. If seen it once I've seen it a hundred time the sales guy tell a customer what they want to hear, just to sell them something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts