Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 55gal tank and setup from wal-mart (i feel i got a good deal,.. tank/stand/lights/filter/heater for $270):)

Im going to use said tank for a "small fish" fish tank.*n1

I want to keep fish, and shrimp in the tank. (cherry shrimp)*w3

here are my q's

how big of a fish can i house with shrimp?
im guessing anything tigerbarb and down is proper, and wouldnt pick on them?

I have 3 apple snails im going to put in there onces its cycled, is this ok?

are shrimp ok to get with no driftwood? im going to get white rock (the hole filled rock, that fish can swim through)

Please keep in mind;

im new to 'small fish', and currently have a well established 155gal, so i know the basics... but am very unframiliar with 'small fish'..

any advise is greatly appreciated, on this very vague post!

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Just about any fish will eat the shrimp. Make sure you have lots of plants and hiding places for them and some will survive. But you won't have many baby shrimp as fish look at them as food. If you really want to get started in cherry shrimp I would put a few males and females into a small tank and let them breed, that way you can put excess into the larger tank.

Small fish is a great way to start a community. I have several tanks with small fish and they are so much fun to watch.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just about any fish will eat the shrimp. Make sure you have lots of plants and hiding places for them and some will survive. But you won't have many baby shrimp as fish look at them as food. If you really want to get started in cherry shrimp I would put a few males and females into a small tank and let them breed, that way you can put excess into the larger tank.

Small fish is a great way to start a community. I have several tanks with small fish and they are so much fun to watch.
LoL'z i dont think girl would go for buying yet another tank.*r2

What your telling me is no matter what, basicly, i wont be able to have a thriving shrimp population, and a thriving small-fish population, in the same tank? *y2

even if i just get little tiny fishies? =( i want shrimp and fishies!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so heres my list so far of what ide like to add;

20ish ghost shrimp,
20ish cherry shrimp
20ish yellow shrimp,

4 apple snails,

10 neon tetras,
10 glofish,
2-5 panda cories
and maybe some other small fish -nothing bigger-

this will be a disaster?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Otocinclus Catfish would be another option, they probably will not even eat baby shrimp. With all those shrimp though you may have to feed them algae tablets and zucchini, etc.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Ok so heres my list so far of what ide like to add;

20ish ghost shrimp,
20ish cherry shrimp
20ish yellow shrimp,

4 apple snails,

10 neon tetras,
10 glofish,
2-5 panda cories
and maybe some other small fish -nothing bigger-

this will be a disaster?
The only issue with this stocking is the Yellow and Cherry shrimp. They will cross breed.

As for your other fauna, none what you have listed will bother the shrimp. Just be sure to provide them with some plants to forage over and hide in. They'll thank you for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts