Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so excited and have to tell someone.
I am getting a new 75 gallon aquarium! In a few months, but we have an agreement that I will buy it from the current owner.
It comes with two "catfish" sort fish (exactly what he called them), a large pleco, and live plants.
This is a monster compared to my current 30 gallon, but the fish need it.
And I am sure they will LOVE the space!

Any advice from anybody with a 75 gallon?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I will be getting a 75 soon as well. Are you going to keep the 30 gallon running and start the 75, or transfer everything from the 30 to the 75.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be transferring my 30 gallon to my 75 gallon.
I still live at my parents house, and they don't want me to have both tanks running.
I may sell the tank, or keep it for when I move out to my own place.. We'll see what happens!
Aren't you excited for your 75 gallon?
What is the size of your current tank?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just have a 20 gallon and a 5 gallon, and I meant to say I'm getting a 60 gallon not a 75. Its so much bigger so I can't wait to get it. Right now in my room I am running a tiny 5 gallon with a terrible filter built into the lid, so I cant do much with it. So I am just going to replace that one with the 60.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That will be nice!
What sort of fish are you putting into the 60?
I can relate with the excitement. I am patiently waiting the day I have enough money to purchase the tank!
I will continue to cut back on my daily purchases so that I can have my 75 sooner. lol

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well unfortunately, the only fish store I have to buy them from is a PetSmart so the choices are pretty few. The only fish I know so far is my Black Ghost Knife that I will be transferring over to it. So really I dont know yet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Certain PetSmarts have great choices.. others have only a few... I find of the couple of PetSmarts I have been to in Edmonton, Canada... The smallest one has the biggest fish choice, and the larger ones have the lesser fish choice...

Where did you get your black ghost knife?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I got it from PetSmart. They have a lot of them and they must sell them fast because all the ones in the tank are very small. I dont think they tell people how big they actually get which doesn't surprise me. I'm glad I did some research before I bought mine. He is the coolest fish I have and gets along very well with all the other fish in the tank, even neon tetras. I have even got him to eat out of my hand a few times.

What are you putting into yours?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really? Eating out of your hands?
The only fish that have ever come close to my hands are 2 of my 3 angelfish, and my sunburst mollies (though they do not come near anymore)

I am moving over all my current fish. Plus there are 3 fish coming from the seller...
So I will have ...
2 "catfish" bottom feeders (as quoted by the seller)
2 plecos (1 mine and 1 his)
3 angelfish
2 bala sharks
2 skirted tetras
2 dwarf gouramis
2 paradise gouramis
2 sunburst mollies (but I think one isn't going to recover from the big "water catastrophy of January"... So I may get 1 - 3 more to accompany my sunburst mollie..
and 1 tiger barb.. if he is still kickin around when i get my new tank, i will get him 2 more friends....

but that is it.. i am going with the slate and live plants look... put the slate in the back..
pretty excited to get it all together!

·
Registered
213 Posts
yep he will eat right out of my hands. All I do is put a frozen chunk of blood worms in front of his hiding place and he will come out and nibble at it while I'm still holding it. Of coarse I just found out that feeding them frozen blood worms is very bad on there stomachs so I have been trying other ways but it doesn't work as good. I think I got pretty lucky with him though because I have heard of some being very mean and eating all the other fish in the tank.

That will be a great tank. I love angelfish, I have two, and I have wanted some balas for a while. I was trying to decide between them and the black ghost. This might be a stupid question but what is slate.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah, Bala sharks are very temptermental. They were actually some of my starter fish.. which I am so lucky they survived.
When I got them I had no idea about nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, ph, all that. Just through water in the tank and they are good.
But they are a year and a half now... and growing big!
The black ghost knife is a neat fish... Good choice! Do they eat veggies? or strictly carnivore? My bala sharks LVOE zucchini... just tie it to a rock and leave in the tank.. they and the pleco will pick it dry.

Slate is a type of rock. you can get counter tops made of slate now..
Its in a lot of mountains!
That is a place I could get my slate.. next time I take a trip west. Lol..

Slate? on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
There is a picture of it

·
Registered
213 Posts
Oh, I thought you were talking about a type of gravel when you said slate. I really like those kinds of tanks and I was thinking of doing that to mine.

I haven't tried feeding my fish any veggies yet. Maybe I will tonight. I did get lucky with my Black Ghost because I have read stories of them eating all the other fish in the tank and being very mean. Mine is always trying to swim around with the other fish and never even bites at them.

We did the same thing with our first tank but It didn't turn out as good as yours did. We bought a 5 gallon tank and immediately put 13 fish into it (all about 1 inch). About 2 weeks later they were all dead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts