Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
*blackback butterflyfish*
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 55gal, i had gravel, then i had play sand and now i have gravel again.. I decided the sand was what was making the water cloudy and also was a pain to keep clean and decided to go back to regular gravel, to see if it helped with the cloudy water.. Sand was rinsed, gravel was rinsed and then an hour after, we did a 50% water change both times. I thought maybe to give it a couple days and see if it settled. We did it Saturday and it is now Tuesday and it looks exactly the same. Any ideas on how i could fix the problem? Everytime i clean my saltwater it gets a bit cloudy, but the darn thing looks so freakin clear all the time, no one even pays attention to that cloudy tank over there :)

·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put new media in the filter to try to get rid of the cloudy water.

·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone else want to help me out with this, tank is still cloudy... :(

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think you messed up the your cycle. New Gravel +clean filters with no BIO-media = problems. What are your water peramiters?. Keep doing daily water changes 20% and add some gravel from an old friends tank to help kick the process off again. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Sounds like mini cycle to me as well with you changing out both the gravel and the media at the same time. A little late now but you could have left the old media floating in the tank during the process.

·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have a charcoal canister and i kept some of the old stuff and mixed it with new stuff. water parms are good, so i guess mini cycle is what it is...i guess i just wait

·
Registered
170 Posts
i have a charcoal canister and i kept some of the old stuff and mixed it with new stuff. water parms are good, so i guess mini cycle is what it is...i guess i just wait
That shoud help & if you got an old filter. Let it soak in a stocking in the tank.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That shoud help & if you got an old filter let it soak in a stocking in the tank.

·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE: I waited and waited and waited some more, but no amount of patience was helping.... so we took the tank down, with the fish in a bucket and cleaned everything and put in new water... the result, well worth the work... oh and we are trying out live plants.

·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so the cloudiness is coming back, my boyfriend said maybe some sand got into the canister filter and messed up the impeller, is this waht could be causing the cloudy water, should i spend the $30 to replace it? Any advice would be good!!

·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did some research and found that is might be exactly what my problem is, so i'm going to give it a try, stay tuned :)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
ok....so here's what we got......you broke the tank down, cleaned everything and then filled it back up. No problem there. However....in doing so, you have also eliminated your BB (beneficial bacteria). Once again, your tank is going through a cycle since there are no BB in there to munch on the goodies. The cloudiness is a result of this. The BB is just trying to catch up with your stocking levels. Patience needs to be stressed here so it can catch up. If not, each and every time you do this, whether it be swapping out media, substrate or such, you're only setting back the tank.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You should have not broke the tank down to clean. Even though this is a quick fix to the cloudy water, after a few days the water will return cloudy. All you really did was kill off the remaining BB. Now you have to let the hole tank cycle again.

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
Nicole:

tank looks awesome above.

Kill the lights and stop adding food until it clears. (usually 2-3 days but can be a week or so). Then continue with less duration lighting and less feeding.

FWIW I have some coudiness in most the FW tanks I setup and have to do the above. Sometimes it just takes time for the system to balance out so it stays clear.

my .02

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Nicole:

tank looks awesome above.

Kill the lights and stop adding food until it clears. (usually 2-3 days but can be a week or so). Then continue with less duration lighting and less feeding.
This is a bacterial bloom not an algae bloom. *#3

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
This is a bacterial bloom not an algae bloom. *#3
killing the lights and stopping feeding will clear up that tank even if it is a bacterial bloom.

my .02

·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK my filter was broken, i had given my old HOB filter to my mom, when we bought the canister filter originally, she had since bought a better one.... we got new media for it and no more than 5 minutes after it started the tank went back to crystal, crystal clear... i need a new impeller for my Marineland Magnum 350 Pro, but it's $30 plus shipping, i am going to run this one till i have some extra money... thanks for all your help anyway!

·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I love this tank so much but tim says why not just do another saltwater :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts