Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone!!!! So I just bought a new salt mix I decided to try the Kent Marine reef salt. I just want to see if anyone has any insight on this product, and if anyone has used or is currently using it?

·
Vodka Doser
6,496 Posts
Not one of my favorites. Had issues in the past with it being inconsistant. But, haven't talked with anyone who is currently using it. Just curious though, what were yoiu using that you switched? And why did you switch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. Just a better bargain 200g for about the same price for 160g of coralife mix. I've heard its very good for reefs so that was one of my biggest reasons I got it.

·
Saltwater Guru
692 Posts
Ive been using Reef Crystals for 5 years now..has the right mag, cal, and alk for me..dont see a reason to change..if it isnt broke ..dont fix it..i have never used kents but ive heard bad things about it from my fellow reefers here..but that doesnt go with the fact they used one brand of salt for years and switched to that and didnt like the results of one salt mixture so they trashed it..so i would say use it for awhile..let corls get acculimated to it..if you like it keep using it..if you dont switch back..but i would do a alk, cal, and mag test right after a wc..im curiuos to know what the numbers are as i have heard they are low.

Rick

·
(-:
83 Posts
Ive been using Reef Crystals for 5 years now..has the right mag, cal, and alk for me..dont see a reason to change..if it isnt broke ..dont fix it..i have never used kents but ive heard bad things about it from my fellow reefers here..but that doesnt go with the fact they used one brand of salt for years and switched to that and didnt like the results of one salt mixture so they trashed it..so i would say use it for awhile..let corls get acculimated to it..if you like it keep using it..if you dont switch back..but i would do a alk, cal, and mag test right after a wc..im curiuos to know what the numbers are as i have heard they are low.

Rick
I used reef crystals before I tried Kent...Ive notice no difference. Im sure if there was a issue with kents before it could have possibly been fixed. My corals are growing so much Im running out of room..The only one that hasnt grown that I can tell is the acropora but I have to say that its because I dont have adequate lighting for it...I have hand coral that I frag out all the time and sometimes have to throw it away cause it just grows so fast...Xenia, frog spawn, galaxia, shrooms and whisker corals have tripled in size since I got them about 4 to 5 months ago. Next time I do a water change I will try and get some numbers for you. take into considerastion I keep my salt level at .25 to .26.

·
Saltwater Guru
692 Posts
Glad everythingis working for you..They could have worked it out..and like i said ive never used it so i wont say anything bad about it..im just telling you what my fellow reefers hwere telling me.But for me..like i said if it isnt broke dont fix it..i will stay with reef crystals.

Rick

·
(-:
83 Posts
What does your Calcium, ALK, Mag read out at on a WC, if I can ask.
I made some new water today with Kent Reef Salt. My Test kit doesnt have a test for Magnesium but the Calcium is 500 @ 1.024 and the KH is 179ppm.

Hope this helps.
Phosphates, nitrates at 0 with RO/DI water.

This is the salt out of the 5 gallon bucket. I understand the smaller bags are more consistant (I dont know why, just what I heard).

Squatch

·
Vodka Doser
6,496 Posts
I made some new water today with Kent Reef Salt. My Test kit doesnt have a test for Magnesium but the Calcium is 500 @ 1.024 and the KH is 179ppm.

Hope this helps.
Phosphates, nitrates at 0 with RO/DI water.

This is the salt out of the 5 gallon bucket. I understand the smaller bags are more consistant (I dont know why, just what I heard).

Squatch
WOW, those numbers are high for a fresh mix.
What do you have in your system that needs 500 CA and and ALK of 10DKH?
Also, have you tested your RO/DI for those numbers? What is your TDS on the RO/DI?

·
(-:
83 Posts
WOW, those numbers are high for a fresh mix.
What do you have in your system that needs 500 CA and and ALK of 10DKH?
Also, have you tested your RO/DI for those numbers? What is your TDS on the RO/DI?

I dont know if anything needs that but thats what the test shows. RO/DI meter reads 0 TDS.

I have acropora, galaxia, frog spawn lots of softies......Everything thrives

·
Vodka Doser
6,496 Posts
I dont know if anything needs that but thats what the test shows. RO/DI meter reads 0 TDS.

I have acropora, galaxia, frog spawn lots of softies......Everything thrives
Right on. Just goes to show you, that the numbers given don't have to be exact.

·
(-:
83 Posts
Right on. Just goes to show you, that the numbers given don't have to be exact.
I figure everything will grow accustom as long as you keep everything stable. I havent had any corals die in my tank except for the dang hand coral which grows so fast I have to peal it off the rocks and sides of the tank and throw it in the trash.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts