Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Entertainment Commitee
314 Posts
they are really easy to set up just have to have your supply and your drain then you just set up your tap your good to go any ro unit is better than tap ahhhahahahh

as far as di as far as i understand it, its not really a di distillation unit that requires heating of the water and catching the vapor and re condensing it

personally i dont like to use distilled ne ways it does weird things to my fish for about 5 hours

·
Entertainment Commitee
314 Posts
tu for the reiteration i put it in my peanut gallery for future reference lol

·
Registered
234 Posts
The Mighty Mite is a very popular portable RO/DI unit and works well for its size. Bring as small as it is it does have some drawbacks though namely shorter filter life and higher cost of ownership since the filters need replacing more often, often cost more than standard sizes, are harder to find and come in limited micron ranges.
For short term or if you only make small amounts it will serve you well though. If you don't already have one, get a good handheld TDS meter ($25 or so) to determine when the DI needs changing as exhausted DI resin can be worse than no filter at all since it releases weakly ionized substances back into the treated water, often in larger quantities that it was to begin with. Use the TDS meter on a regular basis.
Great score by the way!

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Mighty Mite is a very popular portable RO/DI unit and works well for its size. Bring as small as it is it does have some drawbacks though namely shorter filter life and higher cost of ownership since the filters need replacing more often, often cost more than standard sizes, are harder to find and come in limited micron ranges.
For short term or if you only make small amounts it will serve you well though. If you don't already have one, get a good handheld TDS meter ($25 or so) to determine when the DI needs changing as exhausted DI resin can be worse than no filter at all since it releases weakly ionized substances back into the treated water, often in larger quantities that it was to begin with. Use the TDS meter on a regular basis.
Great score by the way!
where can i get a TDS meter locally? would the hardware store have one? i tried it out today did great, cant wait to get an auto top off

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check the sponsors on atlantareefclub. They have a sponsor for rodi units. Did you win it at the TN swap? Cliff at All Things Aquatic just had a frag swap/raffle this weekend up there. Wish I lived closer

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check the sponsors on atlantareefclub. They have a sponsor for rodi units. Did you win it at the TN swap? Cliff at All Things Aquatic just had a frag swap/raffle this weekend up there. Wish I lived closer
yes i got it at the Chatanooga Reef Club Swap

·
Registered
234 Posts
Lowes and HD by me both have handheld TDS meters by their RO supplies. I would look closely though as some meters are only 3% +/- accuracy and are not temperature compensated, Lowes had the TDS EZ last I looked and its not as good. At a minimum I would look for a TDS-3 from HM Digital. It has a temperature readout, is temperature compensated and is 2% +/- accurate. I believe Hanna has something similar but I don't know the model #.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Where do most of you have your RO/DI setup? Does it have to be near a sink/drain? I would like to get one setup in the garage, or possibly in our crawl space where the water first come in. Last option would be the laundry room but it is upstairs far from the tank.

Pics would be helpful.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Its best to mount it close to a cold water supply and drain but it can be most anywhere as long as it is climate controlle, no heat or cold extremes and no direct lighting and easily accessible. I have both of mine in my garage over the laundry sink and have them plumbed into the house for drinking water, ice maker and pet watering. The other makes RO/DI and stores it in a 23 gallon Rubbermaid recycling can in the garage them is plumbed to the sump via an autotopoff system.
A cold water supply and drain are the limiting factors. Mine is split off the washing machine cold water supply using a brass wye fitting and drains to the laundry sink.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'll have to snap some current photos when I get home tonight. I ahve a few old ones and some bits and pieces but nothing showing it assembled and working.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I dont have a mighty might my tank is to big and I need to much water for that set up. But I know lots of people that do. As for filters go to our sponcer airwaterice the make the mighty might and you can also get a tds meter for a fair price from them. Just my 2 cents

1 - 15 of 15 Posts