Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I recently decided to start a little 10 gallon reef aquarium. I put in caribsea live sand and then the water. The first day it was very cloudy so I turned off my filter and tried to let it settle. I woke up this morning and its still pretty cloudy but it's a whole lot better then it was. There's kinda like a foam at the top of the water from the sand so my question is do I just wait it out and see if it will all settle and go away or do I do a small water change or something to try and clear it up and get rid of the foam? Would pouring in the water during a water change stir the sand back up? Thanks

·
i need another tank.
3,189 Posts
I would wait and see what happens.
I don't know much about saltwater but I want to get the ball rolling for some saltwater people to come in and take over.

·
On the wild side
4,132 Posts
where oh where are all the salties at???

·
Super Moderator
8,288 Posts
I would also wait and see if it settles. I am no expert ( Really, where are the salties?!?) but I don't see a harm in seeing if it settles.

·
Master of Algae (THE MOA)
552 Posts
i would actually let it run. the water will often stay cloudy for a little while with a new salt tank because the substrate is often some form of crushed coral. most marine live sands have some form of crushed coral/shell(even if its sand based) and when you firs put the tank up, the calcium will dissolve into it for a while until it reaches a saturation point. if you used aragonite live sand, its almost entirely made up of crushed coral/limestone/some other form of calcium based substrate.

i use aragonite in my freshwater tanks as well, and they go through the same process.

Reactions: majerah1
1 - 5 of 5 Posts