Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through several of the threads and didn's see an answer. I'm using live plants for the first time. They came with a lead weight and rubberband wrapped around the bottom. How long before I can take those off? Thank you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its aquarium lead - I would think it is inert. And probably needed to hold the plants down until roots develop. I just don't know how long.

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
The weights won't hurt anything, but if the plants came in a bunch which I believe what you got, you will need to take the weight off and plant each stem separately or at least 2 stems together. If you plant them in a bunch usually it causes the bottom stems to rot as they aren't getting the nutrients and light that they need.

·
Registered
756 Posts
What Susan said. Also if the bottoms of each stem looks worn or rotted, cut them. This will promote faster growth. If they look good but a few of the roots look rotted, cut them and the other roots will grow in faster.

Lead weights are usually ok when you first get a plant, but rubberbands can bruise a plant so look at that area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts