Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of cycling a 55 gal planted tank. I have Anachris, Amazon Swords and Java Fern. I am about 5 days into the cycling. My problem is that the Swords are looking a little brown. Is this normal or am I making lethal mistakes?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll see what I can find. Thanks. I'm pretty nervous about live plants. My husband thinks everything I am doing (as instructed from various sources I have found) is crazy so it is VERY important to me that I am successful at this. If you know what I mean!

·
A PLANTED TANK GEEK DORK
27 Posts
yes sword are heavy root feeders and need root tabs. also then need medium to high lighting. 2.5 to 3 watts per a gallon also make sure your kelvin aka color temp. of the lights balls are in the 6,500 to 10,000k range.

anything else just ask me. with a *c/p*
*w2

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. I have a F15T8 Daylight. I think it is 6500K. Well, actually I have 2 18" long. Is this going to work? Or should I be looking for something else? My tank is just getting started so there is nothing blocking light to the plants.

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to up your lighting a little. Sounds like you may have stock lighting on the tank. You can go a cheap route and use a 4 ft shoplight added to what you have. Just use the daylight bulbs in them. I use them on several of my tanks since I have so many I just can't afford buying the nice plant lights.

·
A PLANTED TANK GEEK DORK
27 Posts
you have stock lights, I would go out and get a 2 t5 ho out put fixture or a 2 bulb t8 48 inch fixture from lowes/home depot <-- that would be your cheapest route about getting some good light in to the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts