Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I’m very new to the aquarium hobby. I have everything purchased and I feel like I’m setup for success but my plants aren’t doing well.

I have a 10G, and I’m currently doing a fishless new aquarium cycle with plants.

I have a bunch of Java fern, Pearl weed, crypts, moneyworts and dwarf grass.
Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Terrestrial plant Vegetation

1. Java fern is doing well
  2. Pearl weed was brown when i received them in the mail but have happily turned green
  3. Moneywort started melting real bad when I planted them in and only the top leaves are looking ok. It’s pretty much a bare stem with a few leaves
  4. Crypts have been melting/dying very quick and it’s down to one leaf 😞
  5. Dwarf grass. Some areas the grass is bright green but most have them are white. There are some signs of algae. I’ve tried adding photos but the pictures don’t show the grass as white. Hard to tell but I can definitely see it
I dose easy green fert 2x a week, API Co2 booster 1x a day, lights on for 8-10 hours, root tabs are in the soil and I test my water parameters every day.

should I increase my co2 booster dosage and frequency of fertiliser?

I have iron supplements and seachem equilibrium coming the mail so I plan on using them too. Any advice?

Water Plant Plant community Green Pet supply
Plant Plant community Wood Terrestrial plant Grass
Plant Plant community Toy Terrestrial plant Grass

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
It looks beautiful. From what I’ve learned the tank will go through some settling in. Get you some shrimp Amano and cherry shrimp. Get a few snails and a small pleco. That should keep the algae down til you add your fish. I also added some ghost shrimp

·
Registered
1 Posts
You wrote: "API Co2 booster 1x a day, lights on for 8-10 hours"

I use Co2 and have never used API Co2 booster, but I don't think it is as good as Co2.
Additionally, we don't know the PAR of your lights, but from your photo they look pretty bright (the white balance in the photo).
Most obvious thing to me: It seems that your plants are being driven by too much light without enough Co2.
Also 8-10 hours is a long time to run lights.

If you are testing ferts and they are within range, then no point in increasing.

If I were you, I would:

Lower photoperiod to 6 hours;
Increase Co2 somehow;
2x 50% a week water changes until back on feet (avoid a plant melt); and
Cut off dead leaves, vacuum debris, dead leaves, and keep as clean as possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts