Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Just stumbled upon this website while googling aquarium info. - looks like a really good resource for aquarium owners. Never owned a tank before, but have wanted to for a long time. I purchased a 45 gallon IFS reef tank 4 weeks ago and have just finished cycling my tank (have to do a water test, but just did a water change last night.

30 lbs of live rock
algea eaters- 20 snails, 20 hermit crabs, 2 emerald crabs, and 6 other shell crabs (like hermits but a little bigger - I forget the name).
Skimmer
White light/blue light

The water quality is good (as of last water test), but just seems a little dusty (lots of particles floating around and a little collecting at the top of the water near the water return.) The water change yesterday helped a little and I assume it will keep getting better. I also adjusted the skimmer as it was filling up every day or so and I was told it should be thicker liquid and fill slower.

Assuming my next water test (this weekend i hope) is fine, I'm ready to get coral/anemoneas and probably a clown fish (i have been told they are a good fish to start with too make sure water is ok).

Any reccommendations as to how to proceed with stocking my tank past the algea eaters? Any ideas about the particles floating in the water-maybe I am just obsessing, it's not too bad, but the tanks in the store seem to have less particles floating about. The store suggested that perhaps I need another blower in the tank? I know this post is all over the place, but this whole process is a little intimidating and you guys seem like you know your stuff.

·
Registered
943 Posts
:welcome: When you get your tests done come back and post the actuall results with your questions here New To The Saltwater Aquarium Hobby and you will get more answers. I will say this go SLOW!!!! and you are no where near ready for an anemone

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Archer -

I am testing tomorrow and will post results.

Quick question - I have an IFS tank, with live rock, skimmer, drip tray and the plastic balls. Not all tanks require an actual filter, right? Biological filter (the liverock) should be fine along with the skimmer?

Thanks

·
Registered
724 Posts
Welcome to the forum! True, tanks don't need an actual filter if the biological filtration system is well-established. They do need a lot of water flow though, so pumps and/or blowers are very important, especially in a reef tank. What do you have by way of these?

Do you have substrate (sand, aragonite, etc.)? A substantial sand bed has a very positive impact on the biological filtration aspect of a tank IMO.

I wouldn't even consider an anemone for several months. I'd recommend waiting 6. They are veeeery sensitive to even slight changes in water parameters and need fairly powerful lighting. What kind of lighting do you have? I'm guessing a CF 50/50 daylight/actinic bulb? What's the wattage?

The best advice I can give you is take it slow. The worst thing you can do is rush a reef. So take your time and learn as much as you can before getting any more critters to get an idea of where you want your tank to go and what kind of corals you want to keep.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts