Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm a new member to the forum and haven't had time to read much so not sure if my question is relevant for this post. I've kept freshwater fish for six months. I have a 105 liter tank, a 200 liter tank and a 240 liter tank. Three days ago I vacuumed the gravel in all three tanks and did the weekly 15% water change. Since then, four fishes in the 105 liter tank have died. There are no signs of disease. I wonder if it is stress, but I do the water change/gravel cleaning every week and have never had a problem. I have no idea what the names of the fish that died are, but they are all very small (1 cm) long. I had 20 of them in the tank. Would anyone have any advice how to prevent further deaths? Stay safe, everyone, Leeka

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome. Without more info, I'd say make sure you conditioned the new water; make sure the gravel was not too deep (4 inches max); and let the algae grow on the glass before vacuuming... this will absorb ammonia that occurs when the vacuuming removes good bacteria in the gravel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, SantaMonica, for your reply. New water also conditioned when doing water changes, all three aquariums. Gravel a long way from being too deep .... maybe 3 cm (don't know how many inches that is. Have had a little brown algae in the past, but none in recent month. Did think it might be ammonia, but testing shows the water is fine (lost another fish this morning). Have no live plants. Did have a piece of driftwood purchased in local pet shop that looked a little odd to me, so took it out again. Really wondering if I should transfer the survivors to a holding tank, clean out theirs, recycle and start again for them, Hate the idea they're all going to die. Leeka

1 - 6 of 6 Posts