Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to get a home aquarium for a few years now. Last one I had was a 10 gallon unit back in the early 80's that was disassembled for a move and never set up again.

So when I walked into a yard sale this past weekend and saw a big tank (12 x 18 x 36) with a metal stand for $10 I couldnt say no.

I don't know what way I'm going. Fresh or salt water.... (never had a salt water tank), whichever is the easiest to keep up I guess, but I will have a hundred stupid questions, I'm sure.

Like.. how many gallons is this one I bought. :confused:

and this metal stand... doesnt look like it ever had a support for the bottom glass... is that normal?

anyways... I look forward to building a home aquarium for the many hours of peaceful relaxation I remember so well.

-Paul

pbcanney

·
Registered
324 Posts
welcome Paul,

Your tank holds just over 30 gallons of water and was a great find for $10.

Most iron stands have support for the outside edges of your tank, but nothing for the center... post a picture and I can give you a better opinion on weather your stand is "normal" or not

Only you can make the Fresh or salt decision, but think it through and try to get an idea of what each plan would involve... then do whichever one you think will be most satisfying in the end.

and a good forum tip, is to learn as much as you can from reading old threads and be specific with questions. This way posters can give you more accurate advice and you will have a better frame of reference for understanding the answers.

I think you will find aquariumforum to be a friendly, fun, and helpful community of people as you explore the site.

again, welcome

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Welcome, it was karma that that tank found you......

It roughly a 30 gal tank actually its tank volume is 33.7 gal.........most metal stands are made out of angle steel and the top is open. There is alot of work involved it setting up FW or SW tanks.... Did it come with lights, filters, heater anything else.....

SW you will need to spend on lighting will be your first concern and then filtration is a first concern.

FW you can get away with a atandard lighting system, with low level plants, and HOB filter......

I never had a SW tank so I know nothing about the weekly maintence of them. I think I'm getting the bug but fighting it.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys (assumed)

It came with a double filter that has some biobag filter setup and a light and a 10 gallon bucket of rocks. After investingating the base of the tank from the bottom, the bottom plate is 'elevated' 1/4 inch, so it would never touch a flat surface if it was placed on a table or credenza or....

I'm sure this is normal, but its a bit of a head scratcher. I suppose I should have faith but I may cut a piece of plastic 12 x 36 as an impact buffer for the bottom before the underwater world begins creation.

-Paul

·
Registered
95 Posts
thanks guys (assumed)

It came with a double filter that has some biobag filter setup and a light and a 10 gallon bucket of rocks. After investingating the base of the tank from the bottom, the bottom plate is 'elevated' 1/4 inch, so it would never touch a flat surface if it was placed on a table or credenza or....

I'm sure this is normal, but its a bit of a head scratcher. I suppose I should have faith but I may cut a piece of plastic 12 x 36 as an impact buffer for the bottom before the underwater world begins creation.

-Paul
If it came with BioBags then the filter you have is a whisper filter. The bottom being "elevated" is normal for any tank (unless it is a custom build).

If you go with saltwater you will probably want some form of cross bar to support the center of the tank.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Sometimes I use styrofoam to help even out the weight and provide better support...

Saltwater is a little bit more money as far as the fish go and accessories to keep the tank running and tested... and at such a high pH its a bit more delicate as far as ammonia toxicity goes, but if you have patience and heed suggestions you will be given, you should have success and a fun time along the way.

Anyway, welcome aboard!

·
Registered
264 Posts
hello and welcome. Freshwater the upkeep is a lot easier but with saltwater you get a lot more variety in color if your going for the real stuff i.e. corals. But with hard work comes something great.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Ho Paul. Welcome to the forum. It is nice having you here with us all. Have fun posting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts