Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just found the site tonight and look forward to checking it out. It looks active, which is a good thing! I set up a 20 gal freshwater tank about 3 weeks ago and so far have 5 ghost shrimp and, as of earlier this week, 1 rubber nose pleco. Next week I'm going to add 2 small angelfish. Not sure what, if anything, will come after them. Biowheel 150 with custom media and an Auaclear 20 powerhead with filter attachment are keeping the water good.

Oh, I also have 2 contortion vals, 2 bunches of cabomba, 3 bunches of dwarf hairgrass. We'll see how those plants do...I'd like for them to spread a bit.

This summer I'd like to start a 46 gal bow front, but am working on the 20 gal for now.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site! But slow down! Your going a little too fast! Did you cycle the tank at least before you put anything in it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had it up for about a week, with the plants, before adding the ghost shrimp, and then put in the pleco the following week. I haven't added anything since...I decided against the angelfish because they'll get a little too big eventually - I'm leaning toward something smaller that likes cooler water, maybe some variety of tetra. My temp is set at 23 degrees.

I haven't tested the water yet. I don't really want to add chemicals to alter anything...it seems like it should be able to stay in balance by itself. I've been doing a 12% water change two times a week.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
1week? that could cause real trouble. plants can't cycle the tank any quicker than 2 weeks. what r ur test readings-if u dont have a test, u can buy an API master test kit at any pet store.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts