Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya! I'm new to the forum and returning to the hobby after a few years away. My family kept a 20g long with tropicals when I was a child and I had a 20g tall with tropicals about 10 years ago.

A friend recently offered me a 29g w/ stand and everything I need to get started except aquascape and fish. He even put his 10" Oscar in it for 3 weeks to get it cycled!

Since I'm just re-entering the hobby after 10 years I'll have to do some research on the filter thats coming with the setup, but knowing him it's as close to top of the line as he could get. He's recently given his 28" Arowana (sp?), the big Oscar and a couple of 8" tall angels to the lfs to start a Cichlid tank in his 125g so thankfully I have a local mentor. However, never being one to put all my eggs in one basket I'll be picking all your brains for all the info I can get :)

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Good idea to get the information from a few people if possible. It is generally good to talk to people who have owned the fish you want to own yourself. Angel owners before you purchase angels, Betta owners before you purchase bettas, Discus owners before doing much in that area and so forth as no two types of tropical fish are really the same. To get them and just lump them into a general tropical fish category is a mistake of the first, second and third degree. There are a lot of things to know about each type before you make a decision and it is not all on the "compatibility chart". Those who have actually known and cared for the fish know the ups and downs of the species and what to look for in a good purchase or if they would be best left in the store.

Welcome to the site and we do look forward to getting to know you better. Thanks for joining.

Rose

1 - 3 of 3 Posts