Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I decided to finally change my bulb in my light. I have read I should change it every year or so. This bulb is at least 5 years old. I picked up a coral life colormax. Welllll, it looks like the old bulb and the terminals are very corroded, so corroded that it would not take the new bulb. It simply would not light up. I waited a few minutes to see if it had to "warm up" and nothing. I put the old one back in and it works fine.

I have a 55 gallon and it came with a Perfecto that came with the tank when I bought it maybe 15 years ago. There isn't even metal reflectors in it.

I want to upgrade. What wold you recommend for an unplanted, community freshwater setup? single light or dual? etc. Please give specific models.

Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
For an unplanted freshwater, lighting is pretty much pure asthetics. Single tube is sufficient... probably go with two 24" All-Glass Aquarium reflectors. Perfecto is also a decent brand, so either one of those.

These reflectors are likely T8s, and I'm not sure if they will take T12s. If not, I would probably go with a 6700k or 8000k T8. Either way, the new reflector will have an aluminum or white plastic reflector inside and will throw more light into the aquarium than would older models. Whether or not the aluminum underside is better has been debated, but aluminum will reflect more heat onto the water, and keep the outside cooler. (this can be good or bad, and is completely your preferance.)

As far as 6700 or 8000 kelvin, lower will be a little closer to sunlight (I think it is like High noon light) 8000 is a little more blue. You can go higher or lower, of course, but my personal preference is 6700k or 8000k. :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Will if it's not for live plants and just for viewing the fish... You could just buy replacement lights that have the same look and design, with duel T5 or a single CF bulb, or you can get just a replacement to match what you have, without having to replace the hood. Your upgrand here is having a good reflector in the fixture. I know you can find them at Petsolutions.com for a good price. IMO you don't need to spend a alot on money on lighting for viewing the fish, what you need is a good bulb, since the WPG are not important for viewing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update-
I took the Colormax back to the fish store. Turns out the bulb was originally shot the new one works fine. My fish color really stand out but the red platy wag's color is like looking at the sun.

Just a few things that kinda PO'd me with the "local" fish store. And some of this may be due to my naivity. I found this same bulb on line for regularly $14 cheaper than I paid at the local fish store. Now it is on sale on line for even less. I am all about supporting local businesses but come on! When I returned the burnt out bulb I was just going to get my money back either way whether it was a problem with my light fixture or it was a burnt out bulb, but I decided to get a replacement bulb for the above reason. I had the guy test it before I walked out. When the salesman was taking their bulb out on their tank he touched the hot bulb and blurted out "F***" in front of my 3 year old. To make things worse, when I got home, which BTW is about an hour from my house, the package that the new bulb came in had a price tag for $5 less than I bought the burnt out one for! Needless to say, I think I am done with that store.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I don't want to be marked as a whinnie baby on the forum but I am having a string of bad luck or I must be expecting too much. See my fish feeder thread.

Anyway, about my lightbulb issues. After getting an operating Colormax bulb it lasted about month. Last night the bulb went out. I had enough and thought the hood finally had it. I picked up a Perfecto hood which came with a bulb. I decided to yank the new bulb out and put in my Colormax. Guess what, the bulb did not come on. So I did some troubleshooting. I put the new bulb in the old hood and it came on, which means the old hood is still good! Please, what am I doing wrong??!! It's a freaking lightbulb! how hard can it be? The only thing I can think of is that the old hood can't "keep up" or burnt out the colormax.

Last option I have is to get a new Colormax or equivalent (which by the way I am afraid to buy another Colormax again) and put it in the new hood.

By the way, the new bulb that came with the new hood had horrible color and made everything look light green.

Please advise before I go nuts.

This is getting expensive

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Check the start on the hood thats that round thingy that looks like a button... it's the starter to get the gas excitied which causes the buld to light up.... could be loose or just need replacing.. common problem with hoods...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try that, but if that was the case then the new bulb would not have worked in the old hood. What do I have to lose?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally, new hood and new Colormax bulb. I am a happy man. The bulb that came with the hood was way too bright and washed everything out plants and fish in a light green hue. I also tried the SunGlo bulb, same thing. I really like the way the Colormax brings out the fish colors.

Thanks for listening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts